This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0R2Z23gUs
Integrating Social Media into a
Lynne M. Wester
Director of Stewardship and Donor Recognition
• Introduction to Social Media
• Steps to create your Social Media plan
• Social Media tools
• Bringing it all together
WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA?
“Social media is the ongoing conversation of the
It is the source of news. It is the connector to the giant
multi-celled organism called planet Earth. As time
goes on, social media is my home on the internet. It
is my home page, the place where I spend the most
time. It is where I do business. It is where I hang out
with friends. It’s where I find out about new
movies, television and other products. It is my diary.
Looking back on my wall, I have a history that is far
richer than any diary or journal.”
Kurt Sonderegger, VP
Marketing, Ploom, http://www.ploom.com
“Social Media is Like a Cocktail Party:
Listen Then Respond”
The Dana Files
Define your strategy:
1. Who is your intended
2. Where is your audience?
3. Engage your audience in 3-4
platforms and cross-
4. Continue to build
relationships and engage in
• Great for event promotion and creating
• Can create a twitter name and/or hashtag
for your event.
• Hashtag is a favorite tool of conferences
and event organizers and a great way for
twitter users to organize themselves.
• Hashtag usage can be tracked in real time
by using services like Twitterfall.com,
Hashtags.org or Twilert.com.
• Retweet function allows “followers” to
easily spread the message about your event
in real time.
• Great place for video marketing
• Pre-interview keynote speakers for a
• Viral invitation from alumni, dean or
university president or official for reunion
or homecoming celebration.
• Overlay ads redirect users to your site
where they can buy tickets to your event.
• YouTube’s Promoted Videos feature attract
viewers and subscribers to your channel, by
displaying your video ad in search results
and in related video content.
• Shared videos on other social media
• Point out traditions
• Tell a donor story e.g., the XYZ
• Share little known facts
• Share information about
landmarks, buildings, and addresses
• Address questions
• Offer rewards and badges to
encourage exploration of the campus
• Share traditions of the school
• Receive advice from alumni