Kiron D. Bondale: Why should I care about Disciplined Agile?
Website - https://pmday.org/online
Fb Page - https://www.facebook.com/pmdayconference
PMDay Videos -https://www.youtube.com/user/StartupLviv/featured
• Why Agile?
• Why Disciplined Agile (DA)?
• Why did PMI acquire DA?
• Fundamentals of Disciplined Agile
• Certification options
• How can I learn more?
3. IMAGE CREDIT: This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY
Why should I care about agile?
• Increased project complexity
• Increased competition for market share
• Talent retention
• Strong support from PMI
4. IMAGE CREDIT: This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC
Why is becoming more agile so complicated?
• The Manifesto was written by
technology professionals for the
software development context
• Some agile frameworks can be
• Agile for enterprise contexts is
• Teams lack guidance on how to
• Scope flexibility can be abused
5. What are some challenges with Scrum?
• Scrum is a revolution, not an
• It is a framework for product
management, not project
• It was not designed to scale to
enterprise delivery needs
• Sprints might not fit all delivery
6. What does Discipline have to do with agile?
• Increased transparency
• Short-time frames from request
• Shorter feedback loops
• Self-managed teams
• Flexibility on scope
• Alignment with enterprise
7. So what is Disciplined Agile (DA)?
• Process-decision toolkit for improving
• Provides choice & supports Guided
• First developed within IBM in early 2009
with a focus on improving delivery
• Incorporates ideas from existing agile
methods & frameworks
• It is not about DA or Framework X, but
rather DA incorporating practices from
• Supported by a multi-level certification
• Acquired by PMI in August 2019
IMAGE CREDIT: Copyright 2020 Disciplined Agile Consortium
8. What prompted PMI to acquire DA?
• DA provides PMI with
comprehensive IP and thought
• Gives PMI “street cred” with the
• Aligns with the new principles-
based orientation of PMI’s
• It is pragmatic and not
IMAGE CREDIT: This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA
9. DA is based on some solid principles!
19. So what does the future hold?
• Seamless integration of the
NetObjectives Flex content into DA
• Extending DA’s process decision
making toolkit to other domains
(e.g. construction, manufacturing)
• Tighter integration of DA
certifications into PMI’s certification
• Integration of DA content into
PMI’s standards such as the
IMAGE CREDIT: This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY
21. How can I learn more?
• Read a book (or two)
• Take a course:
• Self-paced, online Basics of Disciplined
• Two day DisciplinedAgile Scrum Master
(DASM) or DisciplinedAgile Senior
Scrum Master (DASSM) workshops
22. A deeper dive into the DASSM workshop
• We offer a live virtual version of the
two-day DASSM workshop for those
with 2+ years of agile leadership
• It provides you with one free attempt
(within 30 days) to challenge the
DASSM exam & 14 PDUs
• The next live virtual sessions are being
• February 3-4
• April 12-13
This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND
23. Any questions?
For more information about our
traditional PM and agile
training & consulting offerings,
please visit our website at