In 1898, Elias St. Elmo Lewis developed the Purchase Funnel which is very linear.The # of products/services available was very minimal compared to the number of options we have now. Most buying was local (less risk). Now we have unlimited choices that span the globe. Higher risk for the buyer in some regards.Read more: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/34158/How-Inbound-Marketing-Aligns-With-the-New-Purchase-Loop.aspx#ixzz2LMaDn7o2
Non-linearThe power has shifted to the buyer now. They control the consumption of information. Again, global.Ability to do some vetting. Easy to change from one vendor to another (depending on the service).Voice of the customer.
Get More Leads Through Your Website
Get More Leads
Through Your Website
Steve Phipps / @MemPhipps
November 2, 2013
• Understand how people buy
• Missed opportunities
• Tools to help you capture more leads
• Think about things from your audience’s
Goal: Get More Leads
bplanet / freedigitalphotos.net
We Buy Differently
A CEB study of more than 1,400 B2B customers across
industries revealed that 57% of a typical purchase
decision is made before a customer even talks to a
The Contemporary Buying
Over 70% of individuals consult
websites in each stage of the prepurchase buying process.
Chief Marketing Technologist Blog
“Inbound marketing focuses on creating quality
content that pulls people toward your company and
product, where they naturally want to be. By aligning
the content you publish with your customer’s
interests, you naturally attract inbound traffic that
you can then convert, close, and delight over time.”
Plan Your Strategy
• Define your goals.
• Develop personas.
• Map the buying process.
• Create content (blog, website, social media).
• Create offers worth downloading.
• Setup landing pages.
• Use CTAs on your site, blog, etc.
• Test, test, test.
• Set up email responders.
• Track results and adjust.
Photo: Tim Ellis, Flickr
• The Mission: The company’s mission is to help awesome
people run fast and look awesome while they do it.
• The Product: High-end running shoes that are leopardy
in appearance. (not real leopard skin)
• The Vision: Create a leopard-like lifestyle that imbues its
customers with a sense of awesomeness in everything
they do. Help raise awareness of the plight of leopards
by donating a percentage of sales to a save the leopards
foundation based in Milan, TN.
• The Goal: Sell 50,000 pairs of leopard shoes by
The Customers / Personas
• Demographics: _________
• Needs / wants: _________
• Triggers: _________
• Problems solved / opportunities created:
• Where do they spend time online: _________
• How they buy: _________
• Develop awesome website and killer content.
• Implement activities to get found
(SEO, blogging, etc.).
• Convert website visitors. Create:
• Calls to action (CTAs)
• Landing Pages
Tools You Can Use Today
(or in the near future)
• Unbounce.com (Landing pages)
• HubSpot (inbound marketing management)
• InfusionSoft (marketing management software)
• Campaign Monitor (email marketing)
• MailChimp (email marketing)
• Google Analytics