Successfully reported this slideshow.
Activate your 14 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
• Described as the abstract, logical
structure of meaning that guide the
development of the study.
• All frameworks are based on the
identification of key concepts and the
relationships among those concepts.
• abstractly describes and names an object or
phenomenon, thus providing it with a separate
identity and meaning.
• An intellectual representation of some aspect of
reality that is derived from observations made from
• Example of concept
- Anxiety or Stress or Pain
• Concepts at very high levels of
abstraction that have general
• A construct associated with the concept of
• These signify a more concrete level and are
narrow in their definitions.
• A variable is more specific and is measurable.
• Framework can be derived from related concepts
(conceptual) or existing theories (theoretical).
• The terms conceptual framework and theoretical
framework are sometimes used interchangeably, but
they have different meanings.
and Theoretical Framework
• This consists of concepts that are placed within
a logical and sequential design.
• represents less formal structure and used for studies
in which existing theory is inapplicable or insufficient.
• based on specific concepts and propositions,
derived from empirical observation and intuition.
• may deduce theories from a conceptual framework.
Purposes of Conceptual
• To clarify concepts and propose
relationships among the concepts in a
• To provide a context for interpreting the
• To explain observations
• To encourage theory development that is
useful to practice
• The theory provides a point of focus for
attacking the unknown in a specific area.
• If a relationship is found between two or
more variables a theory should be
formulated to explain why the
• Theories are purposely created and
formulated, never discovered; they can
be tested but never proven.
• Abdellah defined theory as “an explanation of a
phenomenon or an abstract generalization that
systematically explains the relationship among
given phenomena, for purposes of explaining,
predicting and controlling such
• The theoretical framework consists of theories that
seem to be interrelated.
• The explanation concerns the relationship
between two or more variables or
• more formal and used for studies based
on existing theories.
• derived from specific concepts and
propositions that are induced or deduced.
Importance of Theory in
• The function of theory in research is to
identify the starting point of the
research problem and to establish the
vision to which the problem is
• It determines and defines the focus and
goal of the research problem.
• The process of forming basic ideas, designs, plans
or strategies based on given facts, situations and
• A statement or assertion of the relationship
between concepts derived from theories or
generalizations based on empirical data.
Purposes of Theoretical Framework
• To test theories
• To make research findings meaningful and
• To establish orderly connections between
observations and facts.
• To predict and control situations
• To stimulate research
Purposes of Theories and
• Their overall purpose is to make research
findings meaningful and generalizable.
• Theories and conceptual models help to
stimulate research and the extension of
knowledge by providing both direction
Theoretical Framework and Conceptual
Framework may be represented as models:
• A model is a symbolic representation that helps the researcher
to express abstract concepts and relationships easily, using
• A model can be represented schematically or mathematically.
• Schematic model - conveys concepts and propositions
the use of boxes, arrows or other symbols.
• Mathematical or statistical model - conveys
concepts and propositions through the use of letters,
number and mathematical symbols.
• a diagram that visually represents and
interprets the underlying theory, principles and
concepts of a research.
• a visual presentation of variables that interrelate with
one another as perceived by the researcher before an
actual empirical investigation is done to prove its
Example of Conceptual Framework
Profile Self-Esteem Parenting Styles
Order in the
ADOLESCENT REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH WELLNESS