A brief overview of how I saved a client £90k in duties by successfully applying for an EU duty suspension. I may be able to help your clients too. My contact details are at the end of the presentation
EU Duty Suspension
How I saved my client £90,000 p.a
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 2
EU Duty Suspension What Is The Issue?
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 3
EU Duty Suspension How Does Duty Suspension Help?
Temporary duty suspensions and tariff quotas allow the duty-free
importation of raw materials, components and semi-finished
products into the EU which cannot be supplied from within.
Duty suspensions allow unlimited quantities to be imported into
the European Union (EU). Tariff Quotas allow limited quantities to
be imported. This system cannot be used simply to import goods
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 4
EU Duty Suspension So Who Can Apply?
Any business can apply for a duty suspension or tariff quota if the product
being importing cannot be sourced - or supplied in sufficient quantity -
from within the EU.
If the imported product is to be further processed, the level of duty saving
must be at least €20,000 per year. Duty suspensions allow unlimited
quantities to be imported into the EU. Tariff quotas allow the importation
of limited quantities.
Once granted, a suspension or quota is available for ANY business in the
EU to use - it is not specific to the company which applied. If your
product is covered by an existing suspension or quota, you do not need
to make a new request.
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 5
EU Duty Suspension So, How Does That Translate To Reality?
1. My client is a £3m pa importer and distributor of PCB
2. All “raw” laminate is imported from China
3. There are EU-based manufacturers
4. Client adds value by cutting, drilling and packing
5. Clients in Automotive, Aerospace and Defence Industries
6. Client quality and approval process extremely detailed
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 6
EU Duty Suspension The Application Process
1. Made sure we had an exact specification of all imported goods
2. Compared them against the Duty Suspension Code List
3. Worked with BIS to identify possible application routes
4. Drafted the Application Form – an iterative process.
to help us out on this.
5. Waited for HMRC to respond
6. Answered questions and objections
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 7
EU Duty Suspension Possible Outcomes
1. Success 5% savings are yours
2. Fail - because
1. There is already a code for your product
2. Non-applicable product
3. Objection from competitor
1. Left to you and the objector to negotiate.
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 8
EU Duty Suspension Contact Details
Phone: 01789 765321
Mobile: 07831 566300
3rd June 2010 Presentation to IIB Midlands 9