How effective is the combination of
your main product and Ancillary
What is our main media product ?
• A 5 minute short thriller film
• School girl Amy is going off the rails again But
this time her boyfriend has had enough. He
decides to take matters into his own hands by
asking his mate Ben to take care of her. When
Amy returns home from school she forgets to
close the back door which could lead to costly
• From audience feedback we
have found that the majority
of our viewers enjoyed our
short film and was in line
with their expectations.
• We followed many different codes and conventions to try and
make it as effective as possible and work as a short thriller film.
Conventions such as sound effects and eerie music were used
together to create a strange atmosphere and put the audience
• However our audience did tell us where we could have made
improvements, areas such as the acting and lighting could have
been better thought out to achieve a more professional looking
film and entice the audience more but overall our film achieved
its purpose to entertain the audience.
• In order for our film posters to target the right audience, it
would have to follow some typical conventions of a thriller
poster. We conducted research into existing thrillers posters
and made a list of conventions that many or if not all of the
Some of the Conventions
• Film title clearly visible and in a large font
• A limited colour palette which are mainly dark
• Credits at the bottom of the page
• Image of the actors/actress
• A strapline to accompany the title
Strapline to ask the
audience a question, one
they can only answer if they
watch the film.
Both our protagonist
Annabelle and our
antagonist Ben feature on
the poster to introduce
the characters to the
viewer before they watch
the film. It supports the
strapline as Ben is looking
over Annabelle, creating
tension and makes them
question his intentions.
Our logo for our production is situated at the corner so
it doesn't’t take attention away from the main design
but still shows the audience who created it.
Credits are located at
the bottom of the page,
we used the font in
which blockbusters use
as we are trying to
create a professional
A limited colour palette
consisting of only red,
white and black.
The film title is the
biggest font and is
centered in the middle so
that it gains the full
attention of the
audience. It is slanted to
be a different and make
our poster unique and
stand out from others.
Conventions of a Film Review
• Just like our film poster, we conducted research into
existing products such as the magazine Empire in order to
find codes and conventions present in todays film
reviews. I then used this as a guideline when I designed
my own film review.
• Text laid out into columns
• Images from the film reviewed
• Large capital letter to start the review
• Star rating or out of 5 rating
• Large quotes from within the review
• Page numbers and website details
• Image of reviewer and his title and name
Page numbers and the edition that it is, also a
website is included so the reader can get more
Film review pages normally have their own
unique title and this one is ‘Movie Corner’ with
its own strapline.
Text is in columns which is normally
always the case with magazine articles.
Rating of the
film and a
feature with a
us it is film of
Film critic with a picture of
him, his title at the company
and his twitter account, social
media is more prominent in
In film pictures are
used to support
the review, they
described in the
corner so that the
• The combination of all three products help together to create a strong identity in
order for us to to advertise and market our film to the audience.
• The poster and film review both help to advertise the film in different ways. The
poster is a visual representation of our film and is good for billboard or bus stops
and will attract the less film savvy audience. Where as the film review gives more
detail and will attract those who are keen thriller viewers and have a general
interest in film as there are reading a film magazine and will have more knowledge
in the field.
• These 3 media products could be effective by themselves but together they work
hand in hand to effectively target our target audience and reach further to the
wider public and different demographics.. Poster can be distributed to the wider
public and can encourage people who aren't usually interested in thriller to go and
watch it as it is mysterious.
In conclusion, the use of our main task reinforced by our ancillary
tasks made it collectively more effective. The poster effectively
grabs the attention of the audience and can be enough by itself
for them to watch the film. If not then the film review will
reinforce the film and give them more information on the film if
they want it. This is what the film industry does as it reinforces
the marketing campaign and targets every type of viewer. Both of
our ancillary tasks do this and help to lure the target audience in
to eventually watch our short film and enjoy it.