What were in your opinion the three main benefits of London hosting the 2012 Games?
What were in your opinion the three mainbenefits of London hosting the 2012 Games?
2012 Games: Three types of benefits1. Tangible – Physical Redevelopment2. Marketing & Branding3. Inspirational
1. Tangible – Physical Redevelopment•Speeding up the process of regeneration of EastLondon despite economic climate unlocking fundamental public investment Stratford rail lands in January 2007
2. Marketing & Branding Visibility: Visibility the ‘London stage’ (for two weeks, the world’s attention was on the UK)“A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to provide a showcase to the world” once-in- world”
2. Marketing & Branding Opportunity to thoughtfully showcase the best of London • [outwards] Work on its global image to further increase its international appeal • investments • professionals • visitors
2. Marketing & Branding Giving new meaning to old symbols Celebration of newly branded “Britishness”
2. Marketing & Branding•Britain, and especially London, shown as creative tolerant, multicultural inclusive welcomingAs well asable to successfully deliver the 2012 Gamesdespite the harsh economic climate
2. Marketing & Branding [“London 2012: it changed us, and how the world sees us”, The Guardian, 8 September 2012]
2. Marketing & Branding Opportunity to thoughtfully showcase the best of London • [inwards] People’s engagement • emotional ownership of the Games • enhancement of civic pride and national identity The future “big society”?
2. Marketing & Branding “sports are closely related to national identity and can have a deepsymbolic meaning for states such as those in the former Yugoslavia where they are central to the development of emerging national identities” [Jelena Dzankic – European University Institute, LSE]
3. Inspirational “This is my country. This is where I grew up, this is where I started life. This is my country and when I put on my Great Britain vest I’m proud. I’m very proud.” - Mo Farah
3. Inspirational self- inspiration to self-improvement, optimism and sense of potential raise hope and aspirations, margins” especially “at the margins”
2012 Games = OPPORTUNITY a means to achieve bigger goals, longer-term results legacy” “Sustainable Olympic legacy” Physical “intangible” Redevelopment + assetsthe success rests on the ability to capitalise on andoptimally mobilise these hard and ‘soft’ Olympic assets soft’