Committee -- a group of people who take minutes to waste hours.
Team -- a group of people who are committed to the attainment of a
common objective, who work well together and enjoy doing so, and who
produce high quality results.
Teams do not just happen. They are developed through a
deliberate, planned process.
• generate ideas and concepts; often impractical but stimulating
• practical; buckles down to get the job done but may
• analyzes ideas and feasibility, can
process complex data but may
dominate too much with practicalities
• explores resources
and ideas outside the
but improves external
• concerned about
keeping on schedule
• See if others will pick
up the slack
Willing to make financial sacrifices
for the team.
Willing to keep growing for the
sake of the team.
Willing to empower others for the
sake of the team.
Willing to make difficult decisions
for the sake of the team.
Quality of result has improved and service provided
Increases employee involvement
Reduces absenteeism and improves continuity
Enhances creativity and innovation
Creates better adaptability and flexibility in the organization
• Rotten attitudes, left alone, ruin everything
• There’s only one thing more contagious than a good attitude – and
that’s a bad attitude.
• Disagreements do not lead to productivity
• Members do not attend meetings or disrupt when they do attend
• Silence is the norm
• You wish you were in another team
• No one acknowledges that the team has a problem
Impact of aWeak Link
•The stronger members identify the weak ones
•The stronger members have to help the weak one
•The stronger member come to resent the weak
•The stronger members become less effective
•The stronger members question the leader’s
• 70% of
the world are
• Must reduce
70% of other
cultures in the
are more team-
flat and flexible
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Organizations that Survive in the
Twenty-first Century will be
Characterized by Teamwork
Wrong Person/Wrong Place = Regression
Wrong Person/Right Place = Frustration
Right Person/Wrong Place = Confusion
Right Person/Right Place = Progression
Right People/Right Places = Multiplication