Developing Liaison Librarians Data-Intensive Research Engagement
At NCSU, librarians have developed a curriculum which is being offered to the library community as the Data and Visualization Institute for Librarians, enabling participants to develop knowledge, skills, and confidence to communicate effectively with researchers.This presentation will discuss the skills liaison librarians must now learn to support faculty and students in these new areas.
○ Effectively use language of data science to communicate with
○ Demonstrate basic methods of exploring and analyzing data.
○ Apply visualization techniques to improve data communication.
○ Learn tools and techniques for version control.
○ Understand data sharing requirements of publishers and funding agencies.
○ Understand impact of open research practices.
Whole- and Half-day Workshops 1-hour Short sessions
● Data exploration & statistical
● Data visualization
● Data description, sharing, & re-use
● Data cleaning and preparation
● Gathering & analyzing textual data
● Gathering and analyzing
● Bibliometric Network analysis
using Sci2 and Gephi
● Open Science: Version
Control with Git and Github
● Open Science: Overview
● Data use agreements and
● Food - Breakfast/lunch/reception
● Computers and IT support
● Training materials
“What a unique and wonderful learning opportunity for librarians. I
really think it hit the mark for so many of that are starting out…”
● Data viz
● Statistical data
● Need more hands-on
● Need more networking
● Staff time
● Instructor with 240 slides
● Jury duty
● Intensive computing prep
● Power for laptops
Data Science & Viz Institute for
Librarians: April 24-28, 2017
IMLS-funded project: Data Science in