Plants and animals live together
• Plants need water and sunlight to survive.
• Some plants need a lot of
water, they grow in wet places.
• Others, like palm trees,
only need a little, they grow
in dry places.
• It is the same for animals.
What is an ecosystem?
• An ecosystem is a place and the living
things that live there.
Animals and plants
Soil, rocks, water
• Some ecosystems are big, like the
• Grasses, bushes and
trees live on the
• There also many
animals like zebras,
gnu, hyenas or lions.
• Others ecosystems are small, like a pond.
• In a pond we can find many animals like
frogs, dragonflies or snails.
• There are also water plants.
Food in an ecosystem
• Plants make their own food.
• Herbivorous animals eat leaves,plants,
• Carnivorous animals eat other animals.
• This is a food chain.
• Some plants live on other plants.
• Many birds build their nests in trees.
• Many animals like zebras or sardines, live
in groups to defend themselves or to find
Forests are ecosystems
• The biggest plants are trees but there are
also bushes and grasses.
• Insects are the biggest group of
invertebrates. Spiders or worms are also
• There are also vertebrates
like owls, rabbits or deers.
The sea is an ecosystem
• Seaweed is the most common plant in the
• Many invertebrates, like
in the sea.
• Fish are the biggest group or vertebrates
but there are also mammals, like dolphins
or whales and reptiles like turtles.
• The sea is the biggest ecosystem in the
• There are three main zones in the sea:
- The coast
- The high sea
- The deep sea