WE NEED FOOD TO LIVE
- Food gives us the substances we need
to grow and to stay healthy.
- We get energy we need to walk or study.
- Some food comes from animals like meat
- Others, come from plants, like fruit and
- We also need water and salt, that do not
come from plants or animals.
– We classify food into five grups:
1. Grains gives us energy.
2. Vegatables gives us vitamines .
3.Fruit gives us vitamines to be healthy.
4. Milk gives us calcium to grow and have
5. Meat, beans and fish give us proteins.
A HEALTHY DIET
• Our diet is made up of the things that we eat
• We need to eat food from all the grups
to stay healthy, this is a balanced diet.
HOW MUCH FOOD DO WE NEED ?
• The quantity of food we need depends on
how old we are and how much physical
exercise we do.
• When we are growing we need more of
some types of food for example, we need
• If we do a lot of exercise we need to eat
• There are four meals that we eat during
the day :breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
• It is important to have a good breakfast
• A good breakfast shoud have milk, cereals
THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
• The digestive system is made up of the
following organs: the mouth, oesophagus,
stomach, intestines and anus.
• Food enters our body through our mouth.
• Our oesophagus is a tube between our
mouth and stomach.
• Our stomach is a like a bag.
• Our intestine is a long tube made of small
intestine and large intestine.
• At the end of the large intestine is the
The stages of digestion
1. Digestion begins in the mouth:
• Our teeth cut and chew the food.
• Our tongue mixes the food with saliva.
• Then food goes down the oesophagus and
into the stomach.
2. In the stomach food is mixed with gastric
3. In the small intestine
• The food is divided into the substances
our body needs.
• All the useful parts of our food go from the
small intestine into the blood.
4. Parts we cannot use go into the large
• They are transformed into faeces and
expelled through the anus.
• Digestion takes time (2 hours) We should
wait before we swim or run.