History of the Internet
1 History of the internet
What is the history of the Internet?
• The design of the Internet was done in 1973 and published in 1974.
• The Internet is a worldwide network of thousands of computers and computer
• The Internet has revolutionized the computer and communications world like
• The invention of the telegraph, telephone, radio, and computer set the stage for
this unprecedented integration of capabilities.
• The Internet got its start in the United States more than 50 years ago as a
government weapon in the Cold War.
History of the
Reasons why people use the internet!
• 1st Reason. To be a part of society.
• 2nd Reason. To get information they need.
• 3rd Reason. To communicate with each other.
• 4th Reason. To relax and to have fun.
• 5th Reason. To watch movies, to read books etc.
3 History of the internet
Who invented the internet?
• The initial idea is credited as being Leonard Kleinrock's after he
published his first paper entitled "Information Flow in Large
Communication Nets" on May 31, 1961.
• In 1962, J.C.R. Licklider became the first Director of IPTO and gave his
vision of a galactic network. In addition to ideas from Licklider and
Kleinrock, Robert Taylor helped create the idea of a network.
4 History of the internet
How was the 1st generation of computers like?
• The 1st generation of computers was from 1940 to 1955. Computers were powered by vacuum
tubes and used magnetic drums to store data and memory.
• The vacuum tube controlled the electric current through a sealed container.
• The magnetic drum is a metal coated cylinder with magnetic iron-oxide material which stored
data and programs.
• There were many problems with the first generation computers, like many things when they
• They were very expensive to make and run, slow and had limited application capabilities.
• They also generated a lot of heat and used large amounts of electricity, the ENIAC used 160
kilowatts of electrical power.
5 History of the internet
The 2nd Generation
• Then in 1956, the second generation of computers hit.
• The vacuum tubes were no longer the best thing for running a
computer, the latest component to replace the vacuum tubes is a transistor.
• The transistor had a major influence on the development of electronics as it
was more reliable than the first generation.
• It made the computers smaller, faster, cheaper and more efficient to run.
• They were still generating a lot of heat which resulted in the damage of
sensitive internal parts of the computer
6 History of the internet
The 3rd Generation
• The era of transistors was short lived because in 1964, integrated circuits
became the next great thing in developing semiconductor technology.
• Computers were made to be more accessible and affordable to a mass
• Punched cards and printouts were replaced by keyboards and monitors and
the first operating system was created to allow multiple applications to run
on one computer.
7 History of the internet
h 4th Generation
• The 4th generation is still the present generation of computers.
• When microprocessors where invented in 1971, the era of mass usage of
• The 4th generation was started by the Intel 4004 chip.
• Microprocessors have thousands of integrated circuits on one silicon chip.
• This chip contained the CPU, memory and input/output controls – a lot
more advanced that the last 3 generations. 10 years later, IBM introduced
the first computer that was dedicated to the home user
8 History of the internet
How do computers look like today?
• Now computers are very thin and weight nothing for example some
two or three pounds.
Some of the newest computers are:
• Samsung - Series 5 Ultrabook 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB
Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
• Apple 27" iMac Desktop Computer
• My favorite is the Microsoft RT Surface
9 History of the internet
Where is the internet used in daily lives of
• In different places such as schools, hospitals, offices, homes, etc…
• In a smart phone internet is the main point, because if it doesn’t have
internet then there isn’t that much you can do
• I pads, tablets, etc…
• Stores to keep things running
• Something I found awesome is that now you can even order your
subway sandwiches online with the free subway app.
10 History of the internet
Internet on your smart phone!
11 History of the internet
12 History of the internet
• The first search engines!
13 History of the internet
14 History of the internet