1. Mac Directions: Click on the Finder and then Select “About This Mac” 2. Select Displays Tab 3. Note Your Built-In Display Size
4. Login in to Canva and Select “Use Custom Dimensions” 5. Enter the Dimensions from Step 3
6. Choose a Layout. (Preference: I typically choose the large one and add shapes to it but one could choose a layout that was already partitioned as well.) 7. Choose a Background. Canva has a limited number of free customizable backgrounds. One could easily use these to start with or upload their own photo to serve as the background image. (Preference: I typically use backgrounds from Creative Market so I can change and modify them and have a larger aesthetic selection.) 8. Modify Your Background. Canva allows you to filter your images as well as modify the brightness and contrast so there are lots of choices to make an image look amazing.
9. Add Shapes to Customize Your Desktop. Consider how many topics you focus on when working on your computer and if certain topics or projects need more real estate on your desktop. 10. Change the Color of Your Shape to match your background. (Preference: I choose the gold square and then change the color to white as I don’t like busy desktops).
11. Choose Icons to Cue You in to Each Area of Focus. As many of us are visual in nature, this is an easy way to locate and organize projects. Canva offers a variety of icons within their Illustration and Icons section. (Preference: If I plan to use the icon in other pieces of work or am looking for a very specific icon, I go to the Noun Project and purchase an icon there. Then I upload it to Canva.)
12. Add Text Labels to Your Desktop Sections: This isn’t necessary but helpful to pair text with the icon to assist you with organizing your desktop. Text labels can be found within the text section of Canva. 13. Customize the Font and Color of Your Text Label: Canva offers a full color editor so you can easily match text labels and boxes to your background.
14. Satisfied? Take a good look and make sure your design is matched to your organization and workflow needs. 15. Download: Download your design as an image. It will be sent to your Downloads Folder.
16. Import Your Image to Photos: On My Mac, I import my image to iPhoto by dragging and dropping it. 17. Change Your Desktop: Right Click on Your Desktop and you should be presented with the option to change your desktop wallpaper. Locate the image in iPhoto and away you go.
18. Organize Your Folders: The Last step is to move and rearrange your folders to match the sections or topics they are associated with. 19. ***BONUS***: Note, you can easily use Canva to duplicate your original desktop organizer and change out the number of sections, titles to the sections, and even background color to suit your needs!
Click on Finder
and Select “About This Mac” Select Displays Tab
Note Your Built-In Display Size
Login to Canva and Use Custom Dimensions
Enter the Dimensions from Step 3
Choose a Layout
Choose a Background
Modify Your Background
Add Shapes to Delineate Desktop Sections
Adjust the Color of Your Shape
11 Choose Icons as Visual Cues for Work Sections
… If you are looking for a specific icon
and weren’t able to find it in the Canva ecosystem -
Download icons from the Noun Project and upload to Canva
Need More Icons?
Need More Backgrounds?
…If you are looking for a specific background and couldn’t find it -
Download backgrounds from Creative Market and upload to Canva
*** Every week 6 featured digital products are offered for FREE ***
Canva offers several
icons and backgrounds…BUT…
Add Text Labels
to Each Section
Customize Font and Color
of Your Text Label