Chapter 2 Guided Reading Advanced A&P
Please answer all of the following questions on a separate sheet of paper, and hand your work in on the
1. Why do we study chemistry in order to understand A&P?
2. What is chemistry?
3. What is matter?
4. 95% of the elements in the human body consist of which four elements?
5. The smallest particle of matter is the what?
6. Describe an atom’s nucleus.
7. Where do you find electrons in an atom?
8. How are the atoms from one element different from those of other elements?
9. What does an atom’s atomic number represent?
10. Protons plus neutrons in an atom approximately equals what number?
11. Which subatomic particle is responsible for chemical bonds forming between two
or more atoms?
12. Describe how an atom’s outermost electron shell affects its chemical activity.
13. What is an ion?
14. Describe how an ionic bond is formed.
15. How is a covalent bond different from the ionic bond you just described?
16. Polar molecules result from which kind of bond?
17. Which elements are typically found in polar molecules?
18. Hydrogen bonds are [stonger/weaker] at warmer temperatures.
19. How are synthesis and decomposition reactions different?
20. Give an example of an exchange reaction that is common in the human body.
21. What is the difference between an exchange reaction and a reversible reaction?
22. What is so special about compounds that are called electrolytes?
23. What ion does an acid release when placed in water?
24. What do bases release when placed in water?
25. The pH of a liquid with a high concentration of hydrogen ions and a low
concentration of hydroxide ions would be in which range?
26. How are organic and inorganic compounds different (give two differences)?
27. What substance makes up about two-thirds of an adult human’s weight?
28. What is meant by water being a universal solvent?
29. List three major functions water serves in the human body.
30. Oxygen is used for what in a human body cell?
31. Why does our body make carbon dioxide?
32. Chemically speaking, what is salt?
33. Complete the chart on the back of this page: