TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Mental Fitness Defined
• Benefits of Mental Fitness
• Research Available
• How to Improve Mental Fitness
• How to Start
Includes a range of exercises and activities
to develop different mental skills including
agility, alertness, and calmness.
Benefits of Mental Fitness
• Mental Agility
• Mental Awareness
• Promotes Calm and Wellness
• Prolongs Life
• Research studies are not only educational
but allow us to believe we can achieve the
• Dr. Candace Pert
• Dr. Peter Schnall
• Dr. Randolph Byrd
Dr. Candace Pert
• “The mind is the body, the body is the
mind.” (Dacher, 2006, pg.18)
• Discovered proteins called Neuropeptides
• Discovered how Neuropeptides can help
us heal mentally.
Dr. Peter Schnall
• Studied Mid-level Business Managers
– Those who suffered
– Those who didn’t suffer
Those who Suffered
• Felt hopelessness
• Felt Powerlessness
• Had Mental Stress
Those who Didn’t Suffer
• Managers who didn’t suffer said they “saw
it as a challenge and could summon the
inner resources to deal with the workload”
(Dacher, 2006, pg.18).
Dr. Randolph Byrd
• Set out to prove that prayer could make a
difference in recovery.
– 393 patients in San Francisco
– Divided into two groups
• Control Group
• Group with Prayer
• Had flaws
– Unknown others that could be praying for
those patients in this group
– Patients could have been praying for
Group Receiving Prayer
– Fewer deaths
– Fewer intubations and ventilations
– Fewer drugs were administered
– Less pulmonary edema
How to Improve Mental Fitness
• Guided Imagery
• We are often so busy we feel there is no time to stop
and meditate! But meditation actually gives you more
time by making your mind calmer and more focused. A
simple ten or fifteen minute breathing meditation can
help you to overcome your stress and find some inner
peace and balance.
• Meditation can also help us to understand our own mind.
We can learn how to transform our mind from negative to
positive, from disturbed to peaceful, from unhappy to
• This is a profound spiritual practice you can enjoy
throughout the day, not just while seated in meditation.
Love and Kindness
• This is a simple meditation that teaches us
how to feel and radiate love and kindness
to ourselves and others.
• This meditation can be done all day with
or without sitting down.
• Retreat into your mind and dream a
fantasy vacation. How far away will your
imagination take you?
How to Start
• Think about the future you want to achieve
• Create a Vision
• Do it Now
• It’s about getting mentally fit, staying
mentally fit, and isn’t it about time!
• Remember that mental fitness activities
take patients, repetition, and time to
• Just Do It!