YOUR DISCOVERY TASK• TASK 1 –Locate, Reflect, Evaluate! •Locate information in the selection to determine whether the statement is true (T) or false (F).
DAY 4• CONTINUATION OF TASK 1• LOCATE, REFLECT, EVALUATE!
1. Only a few people work on compiling folk literature.2. Proverbs and otherforms of folk literaturewere introduced by theSpaniards.
3. Our ancestors’ proverbs served as guideposts for upright living.4. All proverbs are poeticand figurative in nature.
5. Proverbs may have geographical origins.6. People react to the meaning of proverbs quite quickly.
7. Proverbs are more superior than other literary forms in expressing messages.8. If proverbs can instruct, they can definitely prescribe.
9. It is impossible to classify and categorize our numerous proverbs.10. Our proverbs reflect a lot of things about our culture and identity.
Task 2. Classify!–Use Damiana Eugenio’s system to classify the following proverbs. Use the given codes.
• G – proverbs expressing a general attitude towards life and the laws that govern life• E – ethical proverbs recommending certain virtues and condemning certain vices• V – proverbs expressing a system of values
• T – proverbs expressing general truths / observations about life and human nature• H – humorous proverbs• M – miscellaneous proverbs
1. Matibay ang walis, palibhasay magkabigkis. A broom is sturdy because its strands are tightly bound.
2. Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod.To a fearless person, no fence is high enough.
3. Kung ano ang puno, siya ang bunga.Whatever the tree, sois the fruit.
4. Aanhin pa ang damo, kung patay na ang kabayo.What good is the grass if the horse is already dead.
5. Kung may isinuksok, may madudukot.If you save, you have something to withdraw.
6. Ang magalang na sagot, nakakapawi ng pagod.A respectful retort wipes away weariness
7. Ang hindi marunong magmahal sa sariling wika, daig pa ang malangsang isda.He who does not love the national language is worse than a smelly
8. Ang mabigat ay gumagaan, kung pinag- tutulungan.A heavy burden is lightened if everyone participates in carrying it.
9. Ang buhay ay parang gulong, minsang nasa ibabaw, minsang nasa ilalim. Life is like a wheel; sometimes you are on top, sometimes you are in the bottom.
10. Ang pili ng pili, natatapat sa bungi.One who is choosy ends up with the least attractive choice.
KEY ANSWERS:1. T 5. V 9. T2. E 6. V 10. H3. T 7. G4. E 8. G/V
ASSIGN: # 4• Underline the subject and the verb in each sentence. Put a check mark if they are written correctly, and cross if incorrectly.
The number of recordedproverbs are unknown. A numberof them are from the Tagalogregions. There‟s many scholarswho proved that other regionsalso have their proverbs. Still,there are those who think manyproverbs have not yet beenrecorded.
• Prof. Jose, as well as Prof. Lacsamana have the same belief. One of their findings are important to many folk literature scholars. Prof. Ruiz, who studied their findings are very much interested in such finding.