What Does a Good Digital Methods Project Look Like?
What Does a Good Digital
Methods Project Look Like?
11 January 2016, University of Amsterdam
Liliana Bounegru | lilianabounegru.org | @bb_liliana
Some Highlights from the DMI
Winter and Summer Schools 2015
DMI Winter School 2015!
Show Me Your Dashboard: New Media
Monitoring and Data Analytics as
How may we identify and develop
critical data analytics?
What is the ‘page weight’ of bugs
(trackers, beacons, widgets and other
devices) and how can we experience
their micro-temporalities differently?
Micro-Temporalities of the Web (2015). http://gauthiier.github.io/www-micro-temporalities/
Some data sprint tips from last year’s project coordinators
• Spend time with your data.
• Test hypotheses and tools on small datasets ﬁrst.
• Don't start with theory but start with the question, the claims (in
the literature or press) and the data; let the data inform theory.
• Let your expectations be challenged and shaped by the data.
• Split big groups into subgroups.
• Be persistent - there are always ups and downs.
• Take your coffee breaks :-)