Escola Secundária Pinheiro e Rosa
Student: Inês Gonçalves
What it is?
● A nurse is a professional prepared to work in all areas of healthcare.
● Nurses play significant roles in hospitals, clinics and private practices.
● They have to communicate between patients and doctors, caring for patients,
administering medicine and supervising nurses aides.
How is a day in the life of a nurse?
● Administering medications;
● Managing intravenous (IV) lines;
● Caring for patients;
● Observing and recording patients conditions;
● Communicating with doctors;
● Providing emotional support to patients and their families;
● Advising patients on how to self-administer medication and physical therapy;
● Educating patients and the public on disease management, nutritional plans
and medical conditions.
● The educational path for becoming a nurse vary depending on the type of
nurse that you become, but all nurses must be licensed.
● To become a nurse you need a university degree ( four years study).
Nurses should always exhibit professionalism in front of patients, but also with
colleagues as well, to show respect, attitude, integrity, responsibility, and
● Attention to Detail
You also need to pay attention to details because not only ensures that you’ll
avoid a medical mistake, but it also helps you give great patient care;
● Critical Thinking
Nurses must be problem-solvers, you need to identify problems and find solutions
● Compassion and kindness
You need to be considerate, sympathetic, non-judgmental, and should have the
ability to provide comfort to the patient both emotionally and mentally;
You need to be able to interact with patients, other healthcare professionals and
family members, you also should be a good listener, and the conversation has to
be soft and polite.