Getting ready for your first trousers - Dealing with a job promotion
Getting ready for your“first” trousersDealing with a Job Promotion
Getting ready for your first trousersAn important event• An old friend of mine toldme a nice story aboutgetting his first pair oftrousers some 60 yearsago.• He told me that getting apair of trousers from hisparents would meanreaching adulthood andbeing prepared for life andwork.
Getting ready for your first trousersAn important and exciting event• It was an exciting andsurprising event and thenearby neighbors used tomake nice comments,motivating this young manto face life in a differentand responsible way.• It was a signal that the boywas ready to become agood citizen, fulfilling hisplace in society.
Getting ready for your first trousersIntroduction• When a boss offers us apromotion inside thecompany, we may feel like ayoung man getting his firsttrousers.• We can’t wait to get dressedup and start acting accordingto the new position.• But are we really prepared toface this new challenge?
• A promotion means, for mostemployees, recognition of lots ofhard work, sacrifice, anddedication.• It can also lead us to a successfulcareer but also the possibility of aprofessional failure.• Therefore, we need to be awareof the many new factors thatcome with this promotion meetall the new challenges that it willbring to us.Getting ready for your first trousersImportant
• Understand and know who your newbosses and subordinates are.• Determine who does what, and makesure you are clear on exactly whatthey do along with your role andresponsibilities.• Identify your potential allies andenemies.• Make sure you understand why youwere promoted and what your goalsshould be for the first 6–12 months.Getting ready for your first trousersTips to deal with your promotion
• Don’t waste your time searchingfor answers yourself, ask peoplefor help when you need it.• Avoid making comparisonsbetween your new position andyour old position.• Focus on what you need to donow and build up new skills.Getting ready for your first trousersTips to deal with your promotion
• Remember that it takes timeto establish trust among yourdepartment and about 90days to adapt yourself to thenew position.• Focus on a few quick wins.• But dont try to do too muchtoo soon.Getting ready for your first trousersTips to deal with your promotion
• Your promotion is anexcellent reason to celebrate,but dont expect other peopleto feel the same way.• Your promotion could stir upresentment, jealousy and angerfrom other coworkers whothink they are better suited forthe job.• Managing workplacerelationships after a promotionis challenging.Getting ready for your first trousersMain Company Impacts
• Let your boss break the newsabout your promotion througha meeting where you arereintroduced to the office inyour new capacity.• First of all, have a niceconversation with your team,allowing them to share theirideas about improvement andchanges.Getting ready for your first trousersYour Promotion - Implementation Strategies
• When making your firstdecision, don’t shoot forthe stars, implement thechanges that everyoneagrees will do the most toimprove productivity andmorale.• Learn to separate oldpersonal relationshipsfrom professional ones,avoiding any futuremisunderstandings.Getting ready for your first trousersYour Promotion - Implementation Strategies
• You must treat all of yourteam members equally andprofessionally at the office.• Learn the boundaries ofauthority and respect.• Identify the employees thatare really not happy with yourpromotion and think aboutways to ease tensions.Getting ready for your first trousersYour Promotion - Implementation Strategies
• Facing a promotion is notan easy task.• We need to develop newskills and a rapport withboth our superiors andsubordinates to achievesuccess and avoid anypossibility of professionalfailure.Getting ready for your first trousersConclusion
• The following are referenced in thispresentation:– Therese Haberman, Career AdviceExaminerhttp://www.examiner.com/article/are-you-ready-to-be-promoted-at-work– Nuruddin Abjanihttp://powerofthought.org/2011/09/are-you-ready-for-your-next-promotion/– Kevin Augustinehttp://blogcritics.org/culture/article/getting-a-promotion-are-you-ready/– Anthony Balderramahttp://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/11/16/cb.promotion.asking.boss/Getting ready for your first trousersOur Reference
Feel free to send us an e-mail.Our Website:www.licoreis.comOur E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org@licoreis.com.brLinkedin: Roberto de Paula Lico JúniorSkype: roberto.licoGetting ready for your first trousersOur Business Contact