Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
What is the function of a MV?
• To promote the artist- main focus of the MV and the main thing
that makes the record labels money.
• To entertain- not all genres have the same purpose as some are
made purely to entertain.
• To make a point- artists usually make a point about a themselves of
something relevant that they strongly believe in.
• To induce emotion in the audience- most artists do this to make
you think about yourself or the world, like Michael Jackson for
• Representation- some artists represent themselves as something
that perhaps highlights themselves, making it their unique selling
• Visual Pleasure- the audience will watch the video repetitively if
they find it visually pleasuring, which will gain the video popularity
and gain the artists more fans.
Wildest Dreams- Taylor Swift
• This video promotes Taylor as being a nice person in general, her
USP, as she donates all the money from that video to the animals of
Africa, but we also feel sympathetic towards her love life as most of
her videos are about breakups- her falling for someone who always
breaks her heart.
• This video is entertaining to watch as it tells a true narrative, and
the whole premiere theme makes it different to watch from other
MV’s. It makes a point about love being a roller coaster, leaving the
audience to feel for Taylor and also get past emotions.
• Taylor, like in many of her videos is represented as being cheated
on, or in love all the time- her other USP. She also has a lot of visual
pleasures in her videos, such as the nostalgic movie set, the
animals and the premiere.
pleasuring and she’s
donating all the
money from the video
Setting is different in her
MV’s to many other MV’s
as they are mainly based
in mundane settings or
USP- her looks, artists
are usually good
looking, which gains
them more fans on
networks such as
Instagram where they
post pictures up of
their bodies, fitness
setting. MES is and
setting are both old
Nostalgic Movie set.
Roar- Katy Perry
• This video promotes Katy- her looks are her USP, and that she is
possibly a strong independent woman as the song is basically about
an ex boyfriend who made her feel bad.
• The video is entertaining, much like Swifts MV, as they are both
similar themes, but Katy’s is quite comical and less heavy hearted. It
makes a point about her being stronger than everyone else thinks,
similar to Wildest Dreams.
• Katy is represented as a model in most of her MV’s, showing off her
glamorous body which most audiences like to see. Her video
doesn’t include many visual pleasure like Swifts MV’s, as she is
stuck in a jungle, but a nice artificial one, not like the natural
• Another similarity is that both the MV’s contain animals in them,
where both the titles of the MV’s represent this.
teeth, takes a joke out
of the possible
Swifts MV is very
Artificial Setting- visual
pleasure, much like
USP, similar to
Swifts USP but
not as explicit.
women fighting her own
battles, whereas Taylor
falls into the trap and gets
upset about it in nearly all