G321: Key Media concepts
• The exam is in May
• It is 2 hours long
• It is 50% of your overall grade
• There are 2 sections (A and B)
• Section A is called TV Drama
• Section B is called Audiences and
• You will study Section A in my lessons from
now until December 2014.
• In front of you, you have a media dictionary, a
book and a folder. Write the following on
– Your Name
– Media Studies: TV Drama
– Miss Goodhew
Task: Write a list of as many TV Dramas you can
You have 1 minute!
Tip: Think box sets!
You will watch a clip 4 times writing notes and then
answer a question which is a bit like the
Discuss the ways in which the extract constructs
the representation of ???
What could the ??? be?
• We are talking about representations of types
of people and so they could ask you a question
... Regional Identity.
... Class and Status
– Camera shots and angles.
– Camera movements.
What are you marked on?
• Explanation / Analysis / Argument – do you have
an opinion on the representation created and
are you giving a clear explanation behind your
• Use of examples – are you backing up your
opinions with specific examples from the text?
• Use of terminology – are you using the
terminology we are going to learn in terms of
So ... As I said ...
The representations are ...
• Regional Identity
• Class and Status
What do I mean
The construction of an idea/ image
What do I mean
by stereotypes and
Societal expectations of that group…so do they
conform to the stereotype or challenge it???
Stereotype/ counter stereotype
So what are the
of each representation?
Let’s do one together ...
What is a stereotypical
Say what you think ... This isn’t about
being homophobic, its a STEREOTYPE!