Unit 6 1. Apaneca, mountains in town Activity Investigate. There are Hotels, cities and town in Ahuachapán where can you stay, investigate the name of them and write. Read the follow information in order to understand more about this place.The small town Apaneca is 16 km southeast to the city of Ahuachapan and 100 km from SanSalvador. Apaneca is located on a picturesque and cold elevation of 1,477 meters abovesea level, surrounded by extinct volcanoes such as Chichicastepec or Big one of Apanecaand the Cunhtepec or Green Lagoon.Apaneca in Nahuatl means: "River of Winds" Apan = river or current and Ehecatl = wind.Apaneca became a town on February 10th 1874. This "short plain surrounded by very highhills", as described by archbishop Pedro Cortéz and Larráz in 1770, witnessed on April 16th1876 the triumph of the Salvadoran armies, commanded by General Francisco Menéndez,over Guatemalans.The mountain range of Apaneca from Sonsonate to Ahuachapán via Nahuizalco -Salcoatitán - Apaneca, is one of the most beautiful landscapes of the Salvadoriancountryside and will sure amaze you. The "Laguna Verde" and "Laguna de las Ninfas" areboth located inside craters of extinct volcanoes in the area.Volcanoes National Park For lovers of outdoor walks and beautiful scenery in the park areallowed access to the summits of the three volcanes.El Volcanoes National Park is locatedat the eastern end of the Cordillera Apaneca-Ilamatepec , consisting of about 14 volcanoesgeologically young (between 2 million and 250 years), ranging from from the Cerro GrandeApaneca to Coatepeque Lake Caldera, in the central-western El Salvador, the departmentsof Santa Ana and Sonsonate.
2. National Park Cerro Verde Activity According with the information create a brochure fortourist with the follow pictures.Since the National Park Cerro Verde reopened its doors to the public in December2002 it offers visitors many new changes. The Ministry of Tourism has made a bigeffort together with the guides in order to provide of better quality services. Theyoffer an interpretation of the environment in an educational and unique way. Theguides are local people from the surrounding neighborhoods.The Nahuatl name for Cerro Verde is Cuntetepeque.Main attractions: pathways, sight spots, flora and fauna, orchid nursery.Services: Basic, toilets, parking lot.Food: Cafeteria.Others: Local Guides.Entrance fees: $1.00 per person and $1.00 per car.Altitude: The Park is located at 2030 meters above sea level, in the western part ofthe country, between the departments of Santa Ana and Sonsonate.How to get there: Those traveling in their own vehicle take the road that from SanSalvador takes you to Santa Ana, when you get to "El Congo" make a left or ifcoming from Sonsonate take the detour "Puerta Roja". By bus: Take the bus Ni 201at the west terminal going to Santa Ana, then route 248 going to Cerro Verde.
3.Cerro de San Jacinto: ruinas, deforestación, agricultura y pandillas Activity With your dictionary translate the information inEnglish. This exercise will help you to win new vocabulary.El cerro de San Jacinto esconde infinidad de historias: desde las aventuras vividasen su famoso teleférico hasta la agricultura que goza hoy en día. Este lugarsobresale por su notable extensión y sus definidos relieves que cruzan losmunicipios de San Marcos, San Salvador,Soyapango y Santo Tomás.Por el lado de San Jacinto, del municipio deSan Salvador, se encuentra la calle queconduce hacia la primera finca en el camino:El Regalo. El camino es solitario y silencioso.Aunque a veces ese silencio se rompe con elcanto de los pájaros que vuelan entre lasramas de árboles de todo tipo. Al avanzar,desde lejos, se visualizan las paredes de unacasa, que en realidad no es una casa. Es elabandonado beneficio de café de la FincaSanta Clara, que vio épocas hace más de 30años.En la Finca El Regalo se esconde la casa de José Hernández, el caporal de lahacienda que cultiva café salvadoreño en la única colina de San Salvador: el Cerrode San Jacinto. Este posee una elevación de 300 metros sobre su base. Hay dosformas de llegar hasta esta casa: la primera es en carro, en una calle empedrada,llena de arcilla, hojas secas a montones, animales silvestres y frutas de temporada,como las paternas, los pepetos y mameyes. La otra, a pie, por veredas empinadas,resbaladizas a causa de la lluvia recién caída y tierras olorosas a excremento, seade animales o de humanos.
4. Sierra de Apaneca Activity As activity investigate about this beautiful place and make a summary with your own words.Apaneca, picturesque town of mountain village of Apaneca is located 16 kmsoutheast of the city of Ahuachapan and 100 km from San Salvador. It is in apicturesque and cold altiplano at 1.477 meters of altitude and Apaneca by extinctvolcanoes such as Chichicastepec or Grande de Apaneca, Cunhtepec or LagunaVerde. Apaneca in Nahuatl means: "River of Winds" comes from Apan = river orstream and Ehecatl = wind. Apaneca became a town on February 10, 1874.
5. Izalco (volcano) Activity Underline the verbs you find in present, then make sentences inpast with them.Izalco is a stratovolcano on the side of the Santa Ana Volcano, which is located inwestern El Salvador. It is situated on the southern flank of the Santa Ana volcano.Izalco erupted almost continuously from 1770 (when it formed) to 1958 earning it thenickname of "Lighthouse of the Pacific", and experienced a flank eruption in1966. During an eruption in 1926, the village of Matazano was buried and 56 peoplewere killed. The formation of the volcano actually occupied highly arable land on thesouthern slope of the Santa Ana volcano which was used for the production ofcoffee, cacao and sugar cane.TourismThe volcano is visited and climbed regularly by tourists to El Salvador via the CerroVerde National Park and is a national icon of the country, even featured on the 10colón bank note (US dollars replaced the colon in 2001, so the bank note is nolonger in circulation). The volcano is currently quiescent but may erupt again.A hotel was built on the nearby Cerro Verde to provide accommodation with a viewof the erupting volcano, but the volcano ceased to erupt shortly before the hotel wascompleted.
6. Santa Ana (volcano) Activity Translate into SPANISH the information.The Santa Ana Volcano or Ilamatepec (Spanish: volcán de Santa Ana) is alarge stratovolcano located in the Santa Ana department of El Salvador. At2,381 metres above sea level, it is the highest volcano in the country. It is locatedimmediately west of Coatepeque Caldera.The summit of Santa Ana features four nested calderas and volcanic craters, withthe innermost containing a small crater lake. Collapse of the summit during thelate Pleistocene (inferring from underlying soil samples, the upper age limit is nomore than 57 000 years ago) produced a massive debris avalanche that reached thePacific Ocean, forming the Acajutla Peninsula. Subsequent eruptions have largelyrebuilt the edifice. There have been numerous historical eruptions since the 16thcentury, both at the summit and from cinder cones on the lower flanks, and also theflank vents of San Marcelino located east of Santa Ana. The San Marcelino ventserupted in 1722 and flowed eastwards for 11 km, destroying the village of San JuanTecpan.In October, 2005, the volcano erupted, killing at least two people, injuring sevenpeople, forcing many people to flee their villages. The volcano spat rocks for over1.5 km (0.93 mi) with rocks the size of cars. The eruption contributed to the damagefrom Hurricane Stan. The most recent previous eruption had been in 1904.
7. Guazapa (volcano) Activity Investigate what we can do as tourists in this place then write.Guazapa volcano is located 23 km NE of San Salvador, El Salvador. It is 30 kmnorth of San Salvador volcano.Guazapa is an eroded stratovolcano, with deep valleys on the flanks. There is noremnant of a summit crater. The volcano rises 1000 m from the surrounding plain.Macanze scoria cone is located at the SE base of the volcano, and may haveerupted within the past few thousand years.