Overview of the Physical Environment
• Land – landforms, Rocks
• Water – River, lakes Oceans
• Air – Weather & Climate
• Living Environment – Natural
Rivers, lakes, oceans
Landforms and rocks
created and changed by processes beneath and on the earth’s
• Examples : mountains and volcanoes , Limestone and granite
Grand Canyon in USA
Rivers, lakes & oceans
• Rivers are stream of water which flow from high ground to low ground
• It may include waterfalls and deltas
Weather and climate
• Earth is covered with gaseous environment called the atmosphere.
• Weather. Condition of the atmosphere over a period of time.
• Climate is a weather pattern over 30 years and more.
• Elements of weather & climate
• Plants which have not been planted by people but have grown
Interrelationships between the components
• The amount of rain affects the natural vegetation.
• Rivers create and change the landforms on the Earth’s surface
• This photograph of a
rainstorm over Yukon
River, Canada, demonstrates
how the components of the
physical environment such as
weather, river and landforms
• Can you describe their
• The physical environment
comprises the living
environment, water, air and
land, which are all closely
related to one another.
• Discuss the interrelationships
between the various
components from this