Technology vs. English Is the Corruption Finally Here?
Table of ContentsI. What is Happening?II. What are These Newfangled TechIII. Is Texting and Social Networking a Form of Writing or Speech?IV. Positive: EncouragementV. Positive: SpeedVI. Positive: ReadingVII. Positive: ThoughtVIII. Negative: FormalityIX. Negative: YouthX. Negative: Constant ChangesXI. Negative: Negligence of GrammarXII. Negative: EducationXIII. Negative: Interpersonal RelationshipsXIV. Is it Destroying the Language?
• English on the Internet and in the mobile world has changed. What is• Text lingo and net Happening? lingo have been With the lives of Americans having sped up, language flourishing. has been shortened to follow the fast-pacing.• People fear that text and net lingo has been interfering with modern English.
• Social Networking: an online service, platform, or site that What are These Newfangled focuses on facilitating Tech? the building of social networks or social Examples: Facebook relations among Google+ people who, for Twitter example, share Orkut interests, activities, MyYearBook LinkedIn backgrounds, or real- Tagged life connections. MySpace
• Text Messaging: Text messaging, or texting, refers to the exchange of brief written text messages Features: between two or more 160 Character Limit Speedy Receive and Send mobile phones or Cheap fixed or portable QWERTY Keyboard devices over a phone network.
• Instant Messaging (IM): a form of communication over the Internet, that offers an Examples: instantaneous AIM Yahoo IM transmission of text- MSN Live Messenger based messages from Meebo sender to receiver. Trillian Pidgin
Is Texting and• Characteristics of Social- texting and social Networking a networking: Form of Writing• Sentences are well- or Speech? thought before sent. These forms of communication are closer• Contains some to writing than to speech. It can borderline with creative manner of speech writing, where an obvious characteristics. tone is set and is less formal than academic writing.• Requires formulating words using a medium, i.e. tech.
• More students are encouraged everyday to write Positive:• Most school-aged Encouragement children wrote more Positive impacts mostly occur when a student than their parents. writes. They are capable of improving their own quality• Many children can of writing as they write down separate formal their own thoughts and feelings in order to publicize writing from informal them. writing.
Positive: Speed• Accomplish More Speed is important in the average American’s life.• Suits Busy Lives Without speed, not much can be accomplished. With technology, people can send quick messages and type faster, saving time for them.
• Several sites offer visual and sound accompaniments, enabling children to Positive: Reading maintain interest and learn more. Plenty of well-written works lie on the internet. They can• Important literacy skills influence readers, especially children, and teach them like critical thinking skills that are needed for and reading decent literacy. comprehension are gained through surfing the web.
• Word Processors are faster.• People can let the words flow easily onto Positive: Thought a monitor before With programs such as Microsoft Word, people can going back to edit. write a train of thought, having less disruptions than when writing on paper.
• Language has grown less formal in terms of both content and Negative: syntax. Formality• Text speak and There has been a decline in formality in the past 50 Netspeak has years. Casual wear exists downgraded the often in the workplace, and greetings are simply by first English language into name, no matter by whom. acronyms and broken This also applies to language. sentences.
• Businesses are attempting to appeal to youth with slang, Netspeak, and texting lingo. Negative: Youth• Role-models are Youth are important for any country, as they lead the diminishing, as middle- country’s future. They are aged adults are also highly influenced. With growing obsessed with America obsessed with youth, language has taken youth, and thus follow a spin away from the language culture sophistication. involved with younger generations.
• Changes sometimes happen faster than Negative: people can Constant comprehend. Changes• People have Connotations in words are changed in the cybernetic misinterpreted and mobile phone worlds meanings due to this. everyday. This also applies to acronyms.
• Some word classes have been eliminated Negative: in chats in the Negligence of technological world. Grammar• As long as the point is Grammar has been neglected, and it has been across, not many showing up onto papers. people care to use grammar.
• More and more people believe that education does not Negative: necessarily lead to Education financial success. This leads to laziness. Writing scores have been impacted. Teachers have• FCATs have shown a found errors related to Netspeak in essays and shocking decrease in reports. writing scores, even with the changes in the scoring and difficulty.
• People multitasking is highly common. Negative: Weaker• Focus is split when Interpersonal people are doing Relationships more things at once. People are less connected• With communication, with each other more than if people converse ever today, despite all of the connectivity provided with more than one by tech. This does influence person through language. different mediums, sentences and thought degrades.
• People are abusing texting and other communication tools. So is it• People are growing Destroying the lethargic with the Language? language. It is not destroying the• It is certainly degrading language, but it is diverse and aesthetic degrading it. Context is properties of English. shallow and simple, and it is appearing in more places.• As long as some people cling to “proper” English, corruption will not happen anytime soon.