The Apprentice(ship)The wheres, hows and whos...
Q.What is more important?
• Experience or Academics?
• What do you think an apprenticeship is?
• What is your parents’ opinion?
• Economy & job market is changing...
What is it?
• work for a real employer,
• earn while you learn
• gain valuable workplace skills and
• work for at least 30 hours a week
• At least 12 months long
• 4/5th time is in the workplace
I Gots ta get paiid
The minimum wage for apprentices is
£2.68 per hour, but many employers pay
more than this.The average gross weekly
wage for an apprentice is £200.This
is dependent on the sector, region and
• Intermediate Apprenticeship (16+, no
• Advanced Apprenticeship
• Higher Apprenticeships (18+ A Levels etc)
equivalent to degree level
Why do it?
• (85%) stay in employment
• (64%) stay with the same employer
• (32%) received a promotion within 12
months of finishing
• Qualified apprentices are 15% more
employable than those with other
qualifications (ie degrees)
...but v competitive
• Need to write a strong application that has
EVIDENCE of why you are suitable
• They will definitely want to know about
your ATTENDANCE and...
• What you have done OUTSIDE of your
studies since leaving school
• This is REAL WORLD
Personal Statement & Application
• Deadline is 18th July - Kent Uni tutors coming to
look at them
• To enrol toYr13 on RESULTS DAY show completed
UCAS or Apprenticeship application
• EVIDENCE - from now to then look at what you
have & DON’T, use the summer to build your
• Use the blog to help you construct your application,
download the DONT DO IT DREAM IT guide