Sites for Online Legal Information –Emphasis on NY
(with highlights that point to popular and sometimes unique information)
1. New York State Unified Court System
• Search for Broome County civil and criminal cases decided in the
N.Y Supreme Court dating from 2001.
Click ‘Courts’ then ‘Decisions’ then ‘Trial Courts’. It can help to
include the name of the county in your search.
2. NY State Law Reporting Bureau’s Slip Opinion Service
• Provides access to recently released State court decisions prior to publication
• Browse landmark Court of Appeals decisions prior to 1997 from the New York
Official Reports Service, also at this site
3. New York State Court of Claims Decisions
Civil actions seeking damages against the State of New York and certain
governmental agencies. Full decisions from March 2000 to present.
4. New York State Assembly
• Search for a bill (Assembly or Senate)
• Find Consolidated State Laws and the State constitution (click ‘New York
Note: Consolidated Laws are equal to our CLS blue books
5. Legal Information Institute:
• A well-organized portal site with many resources. Try starting in ‘Law
• Need help with legal citations? Click “Introduction to Basic Legal Citation.”
6. Find online legal dictionary:
• Posted at Cornell Legal Information Institute site under a tool called, Wex.
Click the ‘legal dictionary’ link found under ‘Welcome.’
7. Law Library of Congress – New York
• This portal arranges sites by Constitution, Executive, Judiciary, Legislature, Legal Guides, and
General Sources. Under ‘Legislature’ you will see another option for searching NY Consolidated
Laws through FindLaw.
8. “The Courts of New York: A Guide to Court Procedures, With a Glossary of
Legal Terms” (an online publication)
• From the New York State Bar Association, click ‘public resources,’ then “The Courts of New
York.” Click the link for the Pdf file.
More information on the structure of the courts is available at http://www.courts.state.ny.us/
9. Library Magazine Databases
• Click ‘Search: Articles’ to reach a listing of databases. InfoTrac OneFile seems to have the
best selection of articles from legal publications.
Beverly Long, Rev. 11/06