Measuring weekly visitors
• Important for commercial web properties,
argumentation for media sales
• Not qualitative metric, doesn’t provide input
for content development
• Does not really tell anything about
• Metrics for user loyalty – ie. ”YLE Engagement
• How engaged the users are with YLE services?
• How active the users are?
• How can we increase customer engagement
Simple solution, explained
• Depth of visit, page views per session
• The amount of returning visitors
• Session length
• Proportion of traffic w/ brand related
keywords, direct traffic
• User feedback from service(s)
• Microconversions (comments, tell-a-friend,
• Subscriptions (RSS, Passi/YLE ID logins)
A lot of open questions...
• Are we measuring the right things?
• Can the things we measure be the same
across all YLE services?
• Are we able to draw the right conclusions
from the results?
• Is the analysis guiding us to the right
...but we’re going to try anyway
• We’ll start with beta.yle.fi
• If the pilot proves to be successful, we’ll
expand to other services
• Our goal is an open index: anybody can use
the work we’ve done and compare the results
with those of YLE
• We will communicate the results and process
e.g. in our development blog