Learning Cafe Call
27 July 2013
3rd Working Group
MOOCs (Massively Open
Online Courses) can be a
learning option. It offers cost
effective learning with the
benefits far outweighing the
challenges. L&D/HR need to
be proactive in exploring and
including MOOCs in learning
• MOOCS at Work Ecosystem Update
• Jeevan Joshi, Learning Café – 5 mins
• Impact challenges Platform
• John Forrest, Impact Challenges -5 mins
• An Evaluation Framework for MOOCs
• – Michelle Ockers, Coca Cola Amatil – 15 mins
• Discussion – Our experiences as MOOCs Learner
• Lisa Henderson, QBE - 15 mins
• Discussion – Designing a MOOC
• Jeevan Joshi - Learning Café – 10 mins
• Q&A and Call to Action
• 10 mins
MOOCs at Work Update
• Organisational Learning
• Being explored for refresher course or
keep up to date.
• Business Model
• Bill orders Florida education officials
to study and set rules that would allow
students who have yet to enrol in
college to earn transfer credits by
• The adoption of nontraditional forms
of education hinges on accessibility,
flexibility, and cost—not quality. Clay
• Alison Woodage
• Kirsty Smith
• MTC Training
• P Isaac
• Website being recreated.
• POC platform almost ready
• Need blogs on MOOCs
• MOOCS@Work – Big component of
LearningCafe UnConference 20 Feb
New Khan Academy Interface
• Skill Levels
FRAMEWORK FOR MOOCS
Michelle Ockers input for WG3
27 Aug 2013
• Outcome - to verify that aims and
intentions have been met
• Process – to understand the
process that achieved the
MOOC Quality Project
“perspectives from top quality
experts on the evolution,
development and quality
assurance of MOOC-based
Education-focused; offer some
perspectives on MOOC quality
assurance relevant to workplace
What are our aims and intentions?
• Working Group - ‘Explore’ the
Learning Café Call, understand
possible future scenarios, and
equip ourselves for it.
• Organisational L&D Practitioners -
Propose that this should be same
as any other mainstream learning
e.g. to positively impact performance and
business results, whilst improving
Propose at this stage WG
should focus on the Learning
Learning Café Call - MOOCs
(Massively Open Online Courses)
can be a mainstream employee
learning option. It offers cost
effective learning with the benefits
far outweighing the challenges.
L&D/HR need to be proactive in
exploring and including MOOCs in
Process – Learner use of MOOCs?
• Differing objectives for undertaking a MOOC & different styles of MOOC
• Goal setting – learner led vs. predefined learning outcomes
• Completion not necessarily a goal (approx. 10% completion rate)
• Some dip in and out; take bits they find engaging (low financial and
• “Drive-by” learners – take a look, see if they like anything and move on
• Vehicle for learning via discovery and experience through interaction and
connection (rather than content transmission) – can generate unexpected,
although highly inconsistent results
• Discussion points
• How do we want workplace learners to use MOOCs if they are to be a
mainstream employee learning option?
• At this stage do we just need to understand how workplace learners will
use MOOCs with different levels of direction?
“One of the central premises of MOOCs is that students need to apply their
own measurements of quality and success.” Dave Cormier, MOOC Quality
Project post (Week 3
Process - How might MOOCs be used in
workplace learning strategies?
• As whole courses either:
• Taken independently
• Taken with others within organisation
• With support and guidance from L&D (e.g. structured study groups)
• Integrated into internally developed learning programs
• As extended and/or refresher learning
• As performance support
• As informal / social learning – self-directed learning, with network
• As a source of content either to be incorporated into a learning program
• Discussion point – for what uses does the WG we want to evaluate
MOOC evaluation available online
Site Scope What do students rate/review?
coursetalk.org 13 providers,
1-5 stars (no set criteria ) &
Note – scope makes this a useful
grademycourse.com Coursera, edX,
Difficulty (easy, med, hard)
Workload – hours
Rating – A+ to F (nor set criteria)
topfreeclasses.com 1-5 stars (no set criteria) &
What do we want to evaluate?
Are MOOCs ready for workplace learning?
• Specific MOOCs with the aims of:
• Identifying good quality content for workplace learning (be it courses or
• Identifying MOOC styles that best meet workplace learning needs
Are workplace learners ready for MOOCs?
• Workplace learner behaviours and outcomes using MOOCs:
• In self-directed learning situation in different styles of MOOC
• In situations where L&D guide and support the learner
Propose that to achieve the WG objectives we need to be more
deliberate in how we try to use MOOCs.
MOOCs to Learner Approaches
DIY Facilitated Organised
Reporting in LMS
to a portal set
up by L&D
Learners go to a
pushed by LMS
& supported by
Self Report Self Report Self Report L&D Report
If you have doe MOOCs
• 1. How did you find the use of media (if any)? Any
technical issues? Any quality (design) issues?
• 2. What stood out about the presenter within the visual
media (if any)? Were they a pro or green? Did this impact
your learning experience or motivation?
• 3. How did you find the content density (includes media,
quiz, assessment)...too much to ingest or just right?
• 4. How was your motivation, can you recall what left you
flat vs excited you?
• 5. Did your MOOC use badges to help with motivation?
Did it work?
• 6. Was your MOOC easy to manage with work / life
• 7. Did you participate in the discussion boards? If so,
what did you use them for eg to get technical help, to
assist in problem solving, to ask a content question?
• 8. Did you have multiple assessment attempts? How did
this impact your motivation or stress levels?
Call to Action
Follow MOOCs at work
• LinkedIn Groups
• Follow on Twitter - @moocsatwork
• Sign up at
Identify your area of interest
Usually free – Certificate - $70
Commercial MOOCS - $60
MOOCs at Work
• MOOCs Update
• MOOCs visibility is growing
• Learner/ consumer -
• Either you know about
MOOCs or your don’t.
Academic world knows
• Course are generally Uni
based MOOCs or short paid
courses on Technology/Start
• Other topics and models are
Web site – moocsatwork.com
LinkedIn Open Group
Moocs for Workplace