15 Reasons Why Natural Skin Bleaching Is So Popular Today
Your skin color is dependent on melanin, a type of pigment
produced by specialized cells called melanocytes. This pigment is
also responsible for giving your hair, eyes and skin their individual
color. This follows that the more melanin you have in your skin, the
darker your coloring will be.
As to how much melanin you have in your body depends on your
genetic makeup. If white skin runs in your family, then there is a
higher possibility that you will have whiter skin, as well.
Skin bleaching is a type of cosmetic practice of using either
natural or chemical substances in an attempt to do the following:
• Lighten skin tone.
• Provide a more even skin complexion.
• Suppress or lessen melanin production to avoid further
In other words, the primary purpose of skin lightening is to limit
melanin production, which makes your skin lighter.
Skin lighteners contain bleaching ingredients, either one or a
combination of lightening agents, which reduce melanin in the
specific area where it is applied. There are various bleaching
ingredients that can aid you in this process such as hydroquinone,
retinol, and kojic acid. There are also various methods you can
choose from to even your skin tone.
• Chemical Peels
• Laser Skin Lightening
Lightening agents like hydroquinone are ideal for small areas of
your skin only, and not your entire body. Consequently, one study
revealed that one in every four skin lightener products from Asia
contained mercury. This could lead to the following risks and side
effects, such as:
• Premature aging of skin, especially when used long term.
• Many skin lighteners contain steroids, which increase your risk
of infection, thinning, and poor wound healing.
• Permanent and untreatable skin discolorations.
• May cause allergic reactions or skin irritation.
• Increases your risk of developing health problems from steroid
Search two to three articles about skin lightening and find out the
most common ingredients. If you noticed, you will always find
lemon juice skin lightening in the list. This is because lemon is
one, if not the most effective lightening ingredient from Mother
This is what makes lemon juice ideal for skin lightening:
• Natural antioxidants.
• Rich in vitamin C, which helps clear dark spots and patches on
• Helps reduce melanin production.
• Contains citric acid, which is known to whiten and gently
exfoliates your skin to get rid of dead skin cells.
• Yogurt – This milk by-product contains lactic acid that has bleaching properties.
• Honey – Its antibacterial properties helps fade age spots, bleaches your skin, and acts as a
• Oranges – Just like lemon, orange’s vitamin C content is known to lighten your skin and
even your skin tone.
• Aloe Vera – This herb has cooling effect that aids in new cell regeneration, rebuilds
damaged tissue, and improves hyperpigmentation to get back your skin color.
• Oatmeal – It helps exfoliate your skin, thereby gets rid of the old skin cells and out with
the new ones.
• Gram Flour – This is one of the best natural skin lightening ingredients because of its
various nutrients that helps keep your skin healthy.
• Turmeric – Helps maintain the right levels of melanin in your skin to maintain an even skin
• Papaya – This tropical fruit contains papain, a natural bleaching agent, and brings glow
back to your skin.
• Cucumber – This natural food binds collagen and makes sure that your skin remains
smooth, firm, and supple.
Not everyone in the planet was born with white skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. In
case you belong to the darker scale, you will always feel pressured to do something
to change your color. Admit it. You are always tempted to reach out for that cream
that says, “Skin White” on it.
That is what’s happening to people, especially women in many African countries. This
makes skin bleaching a global phenomenon and a multi-billion dollar business.
Consequently, many cosmetic companies incorporate and sell products aimed at
“lightening your skin.”
Societies from all around the globe associate lighter skin with beauty and power,
thereby creating a psychological impact among people to color their skin and make
Skin bleaching today symbolizes psychological issues like self-esteem and self-
perception that plagued the world since international slavery. Because of this, many
people, especially women feel pressured to avail of lightening products in the hopes
of achieving the “fair skin of their dreams.”
The term, "psychology of colorism" shows how color preference is the cousin of racial
prejudice. The difference between the two is that colorism makes distinctions within
a nominal racial group instead of across groups. This follows that people attribute
more power and higher status to those who belong in the whiter skin category
compared to individuals with darker skin.
Colorism is more prevalent not just in African communities, but also in Asian
countries. Believe it or not, there are even billboards that showcase products that
could make your skin “glow.”
Cosmetic procedures like chemical peels can damage your skin. Although they can
effectively whiten your skin, there is no assurance your skin will remain in tip-top
shape, especially after going through such a harsh procedure using chemicals.
The solution: go natural.
There are lots of natural skin bleaching ingredients that you can find inside the
supermarket. You can even go to a local market near you and you can find lemons,
oranges, potatoes and even aloe vera, which you can use to lighten dark spots. In
case you need specialty items such as raw honey, health food stores and legitimate
websites sell them.
Here is the best part and perhaps the deciding factor why many women opt for
natural skin bleaching: it is cheaper compared to the other lightening treatments
If you've noticed, a dozen lemons or a few aloe leaves won’t cost you hundreds of
dollars compared to lightening products, or thousands of dollars opposed to a laser
skin whitening procedure. You will even be able to save a good amount of cash for
other equally-important expenses.
• Allergies: There is a possibility of developing allergic reactions, even to natural
• Sensitivity: For people with sensitive skin, using natural foods high in vitamin C
may cause a rash, irritation, and burning sensation.
• Measurements: The sizes of the natural ingredients like lemon, orange, and
potato differ, which means the concentration may differ, too.
• Patience: The effects of natural skin bleaching may take longer to see and more
effort on your part before you notice any changes in your skin.
Tips and precautions to keep in mind before using any skin bleaching agent:
• Educate Yourself: Take note and make an effort to read the ingredients in the
• Talk to Your Doctor: Discuss your plans and goals with your dermatologist about
using skin bleaching products, regardless if it is natural.
• Limit Your Dosage: If you prefer to use over-the-counter skin lightener like
hydroquinone, stick to not more than two percent concentration.
• Test First: Always test a natural skin bleaching agent in small parts of your skin
before committing to it.
• Be Aware: Pay attention to your skin’s reaction after using skin lightening
Above all the benefits and risks that come with skin bleaching, here is the most
important tip you should remember: love your skin.
Skin bleaching has its pros and cons, depending on which side of the scale you
belong. For some, it is necessary, while there are many others who simply want a
change in their appearance. Whatever your reasons are for going through skin
bleaching, keep in mind that real beauty is not defined by your skin color.