Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Plan
Web Strategy & Operations
• The Importance of SEO in Digital Strategy
• Mission & Goals
• SEO Channels
• Overall SEO Plan
• SEO Plan by Channel
• Next Steps
The Importance of SEO in Digital Strategy
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO is the process of
improving visibility of a website or video in unpaid
search results in search engines such as Google, Bing
SEO is important because it:
• Allows for higher site visibility
• Helps people find our sites and content
• Can help to achieve business goals
Mission & Goals
Appear within the top 3
positions for top 10
search terms in each
channel on search
engines used by our
Increase visits and views
to GMAC digital
properties by 5%.
Show site links for both
mba.com and gmac.com
for important search
Establish an SEO program for all GMAC digital properties to optimize GMAC
content and visibility in search engines.
The SEO plan will include specific goals for each of
GMAC’s digital channels including:
Websites Mobile Sites Video
Overall SEO Plan
• Research hiring SEO consultant versus completing
analysis on our own, make recommendation by end of
• Establish specific SEO goals for each digital property.
• Determine which search engines we need to be visible in
for all channels.
• Complete a competitor analysis for top ten keywords and
key phrases for each site/channel.
• Review our site submission (.xml file) to search engines
to confirm it includes all content and all content types.
• Create monthly SEO report.
SEO Plan by Channel
• Audit mba.com and gmac.com keywords, key phrases,
meta-descriptions and meta-titles; use results to
optimize search results.
• Audit URL structure of sites, optimize URLs to optimize
• Restructure media library, add alt-tags to all images.
• Review page markup factors such as title tags, meta tags,
headings, keyword formatting, flash, etc.
• Review SEO best practices in our copywriting including
links, title elements, and ALT attributes. Make sure
content is useful and descriptive to the user.
SEO Plan by Channel | continued
• Make considerations for international and multilingual
• Research three to five new (not currently ranked) search
terms for mba.com and gmac.com.
• Ensure Sitelinks appear for important search terms for
mba.com and gmac.com.
• Analyze and reorganize mobile site URLs/URL structure.
• Optimize mobile site pages for SEO including keywords,
meta-descriptions and meta-titles.
• Optimize video for mobile.
• Audit search terms driving traffic to mobile sites.
SEO Plan by Channel | continued
• Include transcripts for every video on all websites.
• Increase views of videos on Brightcove and Youtube by
sharing video content on third-party channels including
Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and content partners
such as Beat the GMAT and GMAT Club.
• Review and update video titles, descriptions and
keywords, create folder structure in Sitecore to organize
• Audit Youtube Channel including video titles,
descriptions and keywords; use results to optimize.
• Test promoted Youtube videos.
• Create detailed SEO plan with specific tasks and
assignments by end of January 2013.
• Complete SEO consultant analysis by early
• Create draft SEO report for review by early