STRATEGIES FOR SENTENCE
COVER THE ANSWERS
TRY TO PUT IN YOUR OWN WORD
CIRCLE / MARK ALL PUNCTUATION AND
CONJUNCTIONS (they are SO important in
sentence completion questions)
DECIDE IF POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE – “GOOD
WORD” OR “BAD WORD”???
ELIMINATE, ELIMINATE, ELIMINATE
Remember that the SAT is designed for
careLESS readers, so notice the details!
DON’T SKIP A QUESTION BECAUSE YOU DON’T
KNOW ALL THE WORDS!
Use good word / bad word
LET’S TRY ONE!
Moths are nocturnal pollinators, visiting scented
flower during the hours of darkness, whereas the
butterflies are ____ , attracted to bright flowers in
1) Notice “whereas” ? Opposite idea
2) My guess would be “daytime”
3) Eliminate colorful, brilliant – so now guess if in first 2/3
of questions (Easy, Medium, Hard)
4) Nocturnal in first one – opposite is diurnal?
The Victorian middle class woman was ____ by
restraints, obligations and ____ that prevented her from
achieving economic independence.
A. hampered - aspirations
B. emancipated - strictures
C. fettered - responsibilities
D. ensnared - possibilities
E. surrounded - freedoms
1) list of 3.. (restraints, obligations, __) – bad word
2) key words “that prevented” – so first blank is “bad word” –
second blank is parallel to list
3) first blank --- ELIMINATE (b) emancipated = good, (e)
4) second blank -- ELIMINATE (a) good word, (d) good word
GUESS WHAT – only 1 left – C!!!!!
YOU TRY ONE~!
There is great unevenness in his later plays; there
are moments of the greatest ____ in the midst of
A. lucidity - enlightenment
B. frivolity - triteness
C. insight - banality
D. obscurity - ambivalence
E. profundity - wisdom
TRY THIS ONE!
The success of the business venture ____ his
expectations; he never thought that the firm would