May 6, 2009 @ COM 300 9:30 AM Category: Presentation
International News on Blogs
Global Voices: Are you listening?
• Features daily articles by quoting and
contextualizing blogs from around the world,
translated into English
• The organization runs completely virtually
• Goal is to bring voice to countries that are
often left out of the media around the world
• “aggregates, curates, and amplifies the global
Global Voices: Behind the Scenes
• Two Co-Founders
• One Managing Director
• One Managing Editor
• Two Technical & Design Members
• Directors for advocacy, outreach, and translation
• Regional Editors
• Language Editors Volunteers
Some fansubs are
• Started with a Taiwanese
professional, not always
fansub, now provides 17
• As bloggers, they search,
select, and compile.
• Co-ordinating and reviewing
translations through mail
lists, wiki, editor /peer
review, or direct publication
• Creative Commons License
Lost in Translation
• Background Knowledge
• Links and References
• Cultural gap
• … but must be English-oriented in order to easily
maintain site, so is it still global?
• Would you still consider this
• What do you think about the
loss of content and what can
be done about it?
• Do you think that a truly
globalized website can exist?
• Salzberg, Chris. (July 2008) Translation and
Participartory Media: Experiences from Global
Voices. Translation Journal, Vol 12 No 3.
Retrieved May 4, 2009 from