5. Memahami makna teks fungsional pendek dan esei
sederhana berbentuk report, narrative dan analytical
KOMPETENSI exposition dalam konteks kehidupan sehari-hari dan
untuk mengakses ilmu pengetahuan
6. Mengungkapkan makna dalam teks tulis fungsional
pendek dan esei sederhana report, narrative dan
analytical exposition dalam konteks kehidupan sehari-
5.2 Merespon makna dan langkah retorika dalam esei yang
menggunakan ragam bahasa tulis secara akurat, lancar dan
DASAR berterima dalam konteks kehidupan sehari-hari dan untuk
6.2 Mengungkapkan makna dan langkah retorika dalam esei
dengan menggunakan ragam bahasa tulis secara akurat,
lancar dan berterima dalam konteks kehidupan sehari-hari
dalam teks berbentuk: report, narrative, dan analytical
• Mengidentifikasi makna kata dalam teks yang dibaca.
INDIKATOR • Mengidentifikasi ciri-ciri dari benda/orang yang
• Mengidentifikasi langkah-langkah retorika dari teks
• Mengidentifikasi tujuan komunikasi teks dibaca
• Menghasilkan teks berbentuk report
Knowledge of field
1. Tell what you see in the picture?
2. Do you like them?
3. What are the colors of their fur?
4. What do they usually eat?
5. How do they breed? Do they lay eggs or do they have babies?
Is used to document, organize and store factual information on a topic.
Modeling Is used to classify and describe the phenomena of the world.
To talk about a whole class of things, e.g. Bikes, Plants, Animals, Phone,
Examples: news reports, science reports, weather reports
General Classification : tells what the phenomenon under discussion is
Description : describes the phenomenon in terms of parts, qualities, habits
Modeling Generalized participants: a whole class of things (volcanoes, newspapers,
the royal family)
Action verbs/material processes
Simple present tense
Language for defining, classifying, comparing, contrasting (are called,
belong to, can be classified as, are similar to, are more powerful than)
May contain technical vocabulary
Is written in a formal and objective style
For many years people believed that the cleverest animals after
man were the chimpanzees. Classification
Now, however, there is a proof that dolphins may be even cleverer
than these big apes. Although dolphin lives in the sea it is not a fish. It is Description
a mammal. It is in many ways, therefore, like a human being.
Dolphins have a simple language. They are able to talk to one
another. It may be impossible for man to learn how to talk to dolphins.
But this will not be easy because dolphins can’t hear the kind of sounds Description
man can make. If man wants to talk to dolphins, therefore, he will have to
make a third language which both he and the dolphins can understand.
Dolphins are also very friendly toward man. They often follow
ships. There are many stories about dolphins guiding ships through
difficult and dangerous waters.
Choose the best answer for the questions below based on the text.
Modeling 1. The text tells about ….
of Text a. fish
d. big apes
2. The fourth paragraph tells us ….
a. how dolphins help man
b. how genius the dolphins are
c. how friendly man to dolphins
d. how diligent the dolphins are
e. how difficult the problems faced by dolphin
3. Which statement is true?
a. Dolphins are fish.
b. Dolphins are kind-hearted animals.
Modeling c. Dolphins’ sense of hearing is very sharp.
of Text d. Chimpanzees are the cleverest animals in the world.
e. The big apes are regarded as the most intelligent animals.
4. The text above is in the form of ….
5. To tell the factual information, the writer mostly uses….
a. passive voice
b. simple past tense
c. present perfect tense
d. simple present tense
e. present continuous tense
of Text Answer the following questions.
1. Have you ever seen bees?
2. Where can you find bees?
3. What do bees look like?
4. What do bees eat?
5. How many kinds of bees do you know?
Read the following text loudly.
Bees are useful insects. There are about 20.000 kinds of bees, but only
honeybees make honey.
Honeybees live in groups called colonies. Each colony has one female queen
Joint Construction bee, tens of thousands of worker bees, and a few hundred males, or drones.
of Text Honeybees live in hives. Inside their hive, the bees make honeycomb of wax. The
honeycomb is a kind of bee apartment building, full of six-sided rooms in which the
bees raise young and store food.
The queen bee lays thousands of eggs. Worm, like larvae, hatch from the
eggs. Each larva becomes a pupa, which looks partly like a larva and partly like an
adult bee. The pupa then becomes an adult bee. Worker bees feed the young, clean
and guard the hive, and fly to and from flowers. They collect tiny grains of pollen and
a sweet liquid called nectar for food. The pollen is food for young bees. Worker bees
use the nectar to make honey. Without bees bringing pollen from flower to
flower, many plants could not make seeds.
Queen bees and worker bees have stings. Workers use their stings to defend
themselves and their hive. A queen uses their stings to kill other queens.
Most other kinds of bees live alone instead of in a colony. These bees make
tunnels in wood or in the ground. The queen makes s her own nest.
People admire bees for their busy ways. People called beekeepers keep bees
for honey and for the beeswax the bees use to build their honeycombs.
Answer the following questions based on the text.
of Text 1. How many kinds of bees are there?
2. What kinds of bees make honey?
3. Where do they live?
4. What is honeycomb?
5. Which bee lays thousands of eggs?
6. What do the young bees eat?
7. What do people admire from bees?
8. What are stings used for?
9. What kind of text do you think it is?
10. What are the social function and the generic structures?
Match each of the following words taken from the text with its synonym.
No. Words Synonyms
1. hatch a. construct
2. tiny b. big
3. build c. protect
4. full d. generate
5. defend e. small
6. admire f. watch
7. become g. gather
8. feed h. grow
9. guard i. appreciate
10. collect j. give
What kind of animal does lion belong to?
Where can you find a lion?
Joint Construction In the African jungle.
of Text In the savanna.
It roams in forest.
How does a lion move/live/survive?
They hunt at their hunting area.
They can run fast like a horse.
Its fangs are very strong.
Its claws are very sharp
They can hear voice from 100 until
What does a lion look like?
It resembles a cat.
The male lion has a mane.
The male is bigger than the female.
What does a lion feed on?
Give a report using one of the following pictures.
Construction of Text
Use this guidelines to give your report
Construction of Text
• Greet the listeners.
• Motivate the listeners to the topic.
• Explain why you chose the topic
Telling a report
• Tell the general classification
• Tell them the parts, behaviors, and
• Don’t forget to use the gambit :
- a surprising fact
- making generalization
• Ask them if they have any questions.
• Say thanks
• Grace Eudia and Th. M. Sudarwati. 2006. Look Ahead An English Course.
• Murphy, Raymond. 1998. English Grammar in Use. United Kingdom:
Cambridge University Press
• Soeprapto, F.A. and Mariana Darwis. 2006. Linked to The World. Jakarta:
• Wardiman, Artono and Nan Sobariah. 2003. Better Your English. Bandung:
• Zumakhsin andYulia Mufarichah. 2007. Progress. Bandung:Penerbit Ganeca
• Zumakhsin andYulia Mufarichah. 2005. Progress. Bandung. Januari 2005 :
Penerbit Ganeca Exact
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5