Honoring Their Sacrifice
Kentucky National Guard Memorial
Status Brief as of: 15 August 2014
• To identify Kentucky Guard men and women who
died in the line of duty from 1912 to present;
• To design, construct and maintain a memorial in
their honor --- creating a sacred space for
families, friends, and brothers in arms to honor
those who have fallen
• Educate the public for generations to come about
the timeless principles of honor, duty and
sacrifice for: home and family; community and
Commonwealth; and the nation.
• 481 names have been
• 230 have been
confirmed for inclusion.
• Research is ongoing for
• Bender Associates Architects was formed in 2003 by Larry A. Bender for
the general practice of Architecture. The firm serves clients in both the
public and private sectors and offers experience in many project types.
• Muldoon Memorials has been selected to do the stonework for the
Memorial. If there is a military monument in Kentucky, in nearly every
instance Muldoon helped build it. www.muldoonmemorials.com
• Sculptor Wyatt L. Gragg of Prospect, KY has been selected to create the
center piece of the Memorial – A larger than life rendition of Daniel Boone.
Gragg, a renowned sculptor, has more than twenty-three years of design,
studio and foundry experience. www.wyattgragg.com
• Smock Fansler Corporation has been selected as the general contractor.
They have been serving the construction needs of clients for over 90 years
and grown to a full service-general contractor.
Total Project Estimate $ 1,397,661*
— $ 1,381,118
Income (+ $1,619,791)
Expenses (— $ 238,673)
Remaining Estimated Need = $ 16,543
– Items not yet funded / contracted - approx $100,000 such
as: Electronic information kiosk to provide visitor
information, photos and bios of fallen; Landscaping, plants
/ trees, seeding, sod; KYNG history Interpretive panels;
*The total project estimate increased $69,886 from the original estimate of $1,327,775.
The original estimate was based on the architect’s opinion of cost from 26 Jan 12. The
new estimate of $1,397,661 is adjusted based on bid information.
• Contract Signed with General Contractor Smock Fansler 8 Aug 2014.
Contractor mobilization to begin NLT 18 Aug 2014.
• Granite for Kentucky shape on Memorial has been ordered
– Quarrying process completed and stone is now in Vermont. Sawing
and shaping to dimension complete. Edge chipping and polishing
underway. Name layouts for engraving nearing final draft.
• The full-size bronze statue of Daniel Boone has been ordered
– Sculptor Wyatt Gragg has completed the process of sculpting the full
size clay of Boone. The clay has gone to the foundry where they have
begun the process of turning the clay into bronze. Creating molds to
• Foundation funded flag poles and endowed flag & flag lighting
replacement for life of the Memorial
Recent Significant Activity
Lawrenceburg, Ky. - July 28, 2014 - Governor Steve Beshear joined members of
the Kentucky National Guard this morning in celebrating the completion of a
fundraising campaign at Walmart stores across the Commonwealth. In total,
Walmart and their associates raised $208,656.52. The Kentucky National Guard
Memorial Fund began their effort four years ago with the funds raised from the
most recent Walmart campaign helping them to reach their goal in order to begin
Preliminary engraving layout from Muldoon Memorials.
• 23 Aug – Benefit Motorcycle Rally / Ride to Remember
at the Healing Field, Lawrenceburg, KY
• 15 Sep – Benefit Golf Scramble Connemara, Nicholasville
• 23 Sep – Black Camouflage Tie Gala event at Malone’s in
Lexington in partnership with Kentucky Proud and
Homegrown by Heroes
• Mid Oct – Daniel Boone bronze complete at Bright Foundry
• Mid Oct – Granite Kentucky with names complete
• 11 Nov – Daniel Boone bronze will likely participate in
Louisville Veterans Day Parade with Boone
descendents (Boone Society).
• TBD – Daniel Boone bronze available for soft unveiling
event and temporary display until needed for
installation at site. Location TBD.
• Jan 2015 – Substantial completion of currently
• Seeking donor to match $25,000 donation from
• To be presented at UK Alumni Charity Basketball
Game Rupp Arena, Sun, Aug 24, 2014 06:00 PM
• Last year’s gift matched by Walmart Foundation.
Your generosity and patriotism can
become an enduring part of the
Kentucky National Guard Memorial
story. Sponsor names will be displayed
prominently and permanently as
visitors enter the memorial area.
• Honor the lives sacrificed for us ALL. Support
construction of the Kentucky National Guard
Memorial by making your gift today.
• Tell others about this opportunity to show their
patriotic support for those who have given
everything for the citizens of Kentucky.
KYNG Memorial Fund, Inc.
PO Box 5466, Frankfort, KY 40602-5466
E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-330-6358
A recognized 501(c)3 EIN 26-3705273
KY Charitable Gaming License Exemption # EXE0001900