by: Kyle Jones
The Hero and The Villain
Every story has a beginning and an ending. The plot is irrelevant just as are the locations,
plot twists, motives, and a plethora of details. There is a beginning and an ending. There is
a hero and a villain. They may not have the ability to fly, read minds, lift cars above their
head, or any other fantastic power. But, for all intent and purpose, they possess a power so
much greater. What is that power? It’s the power of choice. At the end of the story, when the
chapter is complete and added to one of the many volumes of recorded history, all that is
left is one simple constant other than the beginning and the end. There was a hero and
there was a villain.
The Choices Made
I would speculate that some of the best
stories ever are those with flawed
characters. The character, just like us,
makes a decision and it is the result of a
chosen action good or bad that often
leads one down a path to hero or villain.
I’m currently watching Game of Thrones on
HBO and the cast of characters are an
excellent example of choices made. They
are all flawed some more than others and, if you watch closely, you’ll notice that they all
have one thing in common.
What is a motive? According to Google Dictionary a motive is:
a reason for doing something, especially one that is hidden or not obvious.: "a motive for his murder".
Another way to ask this question is: What motivates you?
The answer to this question is powerful.
● Are you motivated by pride?
● Are you motivated by greed?
● Are you motivated by doing good for others?
● Are you motivated by your actions?
● Are you motivated to be better than you were yesterday?
● Are you motivated to get to the top - by any means necessary?
● Are you motivated by your good works - no matter what they may
● Are you motivated to be selfless?
● Are you motivated by the good example you present?
● Are you motivated by selfishness?
● Are you motivated by desire?
● Are you motivated by doubt?
What is your
Your Song is Ending
Your song is ending soon. Fans of Doctor Who heard a repeated phrase throughout
20082010. This cryptic message foretold: Your song is ending soon.
Yes, every song must end just as stated above. The plot concludes as the curtain falls on
the final act. The characters stand in judgement as the readers of history discuss their
actions. Some will be labeled a hero. Others revealed as villains.
If you were a character in story...a story that ends. Which will you be? A hero or a