2013: NCOIC At a Glance
• Global organization focused on industry neutral
concepts for NCO adoption and interoperability
• 9-year legacy of addressing global cross-domain
interoperability issues and concepts
• Lexicon, tools, processes and resources for building
interoperable systems across multiple marketplaces
• 55+ members and affiliates representing 12 countries
Members are Global Leaders:
Air Traffic Management
All military services
Includes FFRDC & SETA
Human service agencies
Council and many
Ensures Focus on
Urban Srch &
Op Impact Assess
Major earthquake occurs in Haiti.NATO initiate HADR mission.NATO GEOCLOUD contingency plan initiated. Regional cloud broker platform and
Haiti HADR virtual organization established.
NATO member countries provide key capabilities to HADR mission.Incident Control Center establish in Haiti.Red Cross engages as first major NGO to respond.GEOCLOUD initial roles established.Israel joins response as first non-NATO donor country.Roles modified to include Israel.
Relief ships reported in route to port facility. Twitter post indicate possible
structural damage to key bridges, roads and distribution facilities
Israeli law enforcement team assigned to visually inspect key bridge,
roads and two distribution warehouses.
Primary warehouse reported as collapsed with fire, multiple medical
emergencies and people trapped in the rubble.
Emer Mgmt team dispatches Fire Res Team, Disaster Med Assist Team and Urban Srch & Res to
pri warehouse site. Fire Res Team assigned to monitor seismic activity and site air traffic control
Cyber intrusion concerns prompts Turkey to limit Israeli access to geodata they
provide. COIs adjusted.
Following NATO collaborative cyber defense protocols, other countries follow suit.
All countries request geodata audit.
Situation stabilized. Supplies at secondary warehouse.
TS: 1TS: 2TS: 3TS: 4TS: 5TS: 6TS: 7TS: 8TS: 9TS: 10TS: 11TS: 12TS: 13TS: 14TS: 15TS: 16TS: 17
Core Infrastructure Build
Adding VOs to OpenStack
• We integrated a VO Management System (VOMS) with OpenStack
– OpenStack is an open-source cloud software project
– We modified the Keystone Security and Swift Object Store Services to use the VOMS
– We extended the OpenStack project concept to include VO projects
Cloud CCloud B
The VOMS manages info for multiple VOs
• Participating SitesVOMS w/ VOMS Admin
Haiti VO Admin
Swift Swift Swift
Nominate Haiti Earthquake
& Other Reporting
Scorecard Model IWG-R3 Analyst
Population, Critical Infrastructure,
Public Places, Economic Data, … Communities
RATS 2.0: Key Features
• Works on COTS hand held devices (phones, tablets, cameras, etc)
– Operates on Android 4.0 and above
• Enhanced Security with Encrypted Data at Rest and Data in Transit
– Open SSL Security (FIPS140-2 Level 1 Compliant)
• Intuitive Interfaces and Geospatial Displays on handheld devices and server
– Enhanced situational awareness
• Secure Chat, Reporting, and Alerting
– SALUTE and Freetext messages with the ability to attach multimedia files
• Remote Maintenance and Configuration
– View device information (battery life, screen state, network info, processor info, running apps)
– View and modify device date (images, video, text message history, call history, contacts)
– Control the device (enable streaming video and audio, enable a hotspot)
RATS 2.0: Providing Enhanced Situational Awareness to the WarfighterRATS 2.0: Architected for Real-world Environments
Providing Enhanced Situational Awareness