Ppt 8th grade version la benchmark review q1 updated
8th GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS
Perfectly, Pleasant, PLOT
1) What is Plot?
Plot is a series of events in a story. Many say
plot is the story’s skeleton! It holds the story
2) Label the Plot Mountain with the
proper story parts.
3) Foreshadowing is when an _____________ gives readers
___________ about events that will happen in the
• The theme of a story
message, moral, or truth
discovered in a story
4) What do you need to
remember about summaries?
• Only need m________ story events
• Learn what a story or article is all about
5) In a response to literature, you are
writing to answer
a specific _____________.
-read/reread the prompt
-use the _________ of the novel, and the
-Search for strong _________, telling you
what to do.
-Use the prompt in your essay to be sure
you stay on t______________.
-Use e_____________ from the _______ to
support your ideas.
5) You will see Latin Words or Word
• Root of a word is like the b_______
• Prefix is the _____________ of a word
• Suffix is the _______ of a word
• Synonym =__________________
• Antonym= __________________
word that means the same
word that means the opposite
6) Example Test Question:
Choose the answer that BEST describes the meaning of the underlined word part
A) Forward C) Within
B) Around D) Above
7) Characterization is the process of
r______________ a character’s traits in
a story. Readers decide who characters
are by looking at character
Direct characterization is when the a
readers directly what a character is litells
10) Indirect characterization is
the process of s___________
readers what a character is
like by describing 5 elements
Delineate means to describe a
character’s qualities in detail.
The author uses ___________ diction to
_______________ characters in stories.
Authors can delineate characters