Open Access, Open Science,
and Open Research
Researcher at Kathmandu Living Labs
Open Science Team Lead at Open Knowledge Nepal
What does OPEN mean?
• Anything that is freely and openly available.
• Open Ground. Any can enter for free.
• The ecosystem of Open. Open Data, Open Street Maps. Open Access.
Open Science. Open Knowledge.
What is free anyway?
• Free as in “free beer”, or free as in “Freedom”
• Facebook vs PHP
• Open Access to Scientific Literature (published research output like
research paper, conference paper, theses)
• How it works now
• The Paywall Café
Open Access in Nepal
• All Nepali journals are free to access
• Can be found in http://nepjol.info
• Nepali authors prefer to submit to closed access journals with higher
• Open Science is broader than Open Access
• Encompasses Open Research Data, Methods, Experiments,
• Science does not mean only natural science like mathematics, biology
but social science, economics etc.
Attribution: Petr Knoth and Nancy Pontika - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50529549
Open Science and Research Data Sharing
practice in Nepal
• Practically nonexistent.
• Data sharing is discouraged. Culture, Data Quality
Why Open Research data?
• Data is the new oil.
- Clive Humby, UK Mathemetician and architect of Tesco’s Clubcard,
Data Information Knowledge Wisdom
The best use of your data will be thought of by someone else.
- Rufus Pollock, cofounder of Open Knowledge International
Example: OSM in Nepal, Disaster Management
Call to action
• Nothing is only a domain nowadays. They make an ecosystem, where
everything influences every other thing.
• Data, Literature, Science, Software, Tools. All come together in
creation and diffusion of knowledge. Philosophy of openness is
• Practice. Every individual can make influence. By being an example.
• Publishing in Open Access journals
• Sharing research data
• Example: Air pollution data in Kathmandu, Data from Large Hadron
• Funders should encourage open science. (example: Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation, Shuttleworth Foundation)