Maryyinsky Palace and Maryyinsky Park Maryyinsky Palace was built between 1750 and 1755. Its design has been traditionally attributed to Bartolomeo Rastrelli and was intended to echo a miniature Versailes. Maryyinsky Palace faces Mariynsky Park, which was found in 1874. From the opposite side of the Palace you will find City (Tsarskyi - Tsar) Park, built in 1743 on the site of the former "Old Regular Park" which was founded by Peter "I". Its layout is in the classical style, with a network of straight alleys, which cross prependicularly.
Babi Yar Babi Yar is the name of a ravine situated just outside Kiev. The name, which roughly translates as "Ravine of Women", refers to the proprietress of the property, the woman, who had sold it to the Dominican monastery in 1401. Today its a memorial park denoting a horrible tragedy in Ukrainian history. Babi Yar was the site of a massacre of Jews and other civilians by the Nazis, during World War II.
Shevchenko Park One of Kievs oldest parks is Shevchenko Park, which is located near the Priemer Palace Hotel. Opposite the park is the main building of the Taras Shevchenko National University, painted in red. Shevchenko Park is famous for its Chess enthusiasts, who gather in groups, almost daily, weather permiting. Joggers find the park ideal for fresh air and excersize. Its interesting to note that the The Aleksandrivsiky School, where Bulgakov and Paustovskiy studied, is located on the opposite side of the boulevard, next to the Volodymyr Cathedral.
The Eternal Flame and ParkVichnoyi Slavy (Eternal Glory Park) Dedicated to the fallen soldiers of WWII, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Park Vichnoyi Slavy, remain one of Kievs most recognized landmarks. It is located near "Glory Square".The focal point of this park is a 27-metre high obelisk dedicated to eternal glory and located next to the eternal flame. Park Slavy is a very pleasant place for family walks. A little bit downhill from the Monument to the Unknown Soldier is a wonderful childrens playground with a fantastic panorama of the Left Bank.