More Than 100 Likes?
How to Leverage Your Firm's
Kelli S. Burns, Ph.D.
Building your Business
• The legal practice is still very much a word
of mouth business built through solid
relationships with clients.
– But social media help increase the speed of
word of mouth.
Social Media (Marketing) Analytics
• “Social Marketing Analytics is the discipline
that helps companies measure, assess and
explain the performance of social media
initiatives in the context of specific business
– Jeremiah Owyang and John Lovett
• Social media goals should be aligned with your
Developing a social media strategy
• Define your business objectives
• Select relevant social media goals
– Increased engagement?
– Increased thought leadership?
• Pursue the appropriate social media strategy
• Track results
The Reality of Facebook
• The average number of pages liked by the
typical Facebook user increased 50% in 2013.
• The average user might have 1,500 posts that
could appear their feed each day. For others
with lots of friends and pages liked, that
number could be 15,000.
• Not all of your fans will even be online when
• Even if they are, Facebook curates the news
feed for users.
Are your fans seeing your posts?
• Organic reach of
pages is diminished.
• Facebook explained
reach is impacted by
• Many contend that
Facebook is selling
more exposure in
Performance Impacts Reach
• If you publish interesting posts that get
likes, comments, and shares, your reach
– If not, your reach decreases.
• More competition = more work for you
Reach is more important than likes
Here are two pages, one with
1M fans and the other with
500k fans. This screenshot
from our Facebook Page
shows the average number of
fans reached by each post of
the page for the last 50 posts.
But, even if the second one
reaches half the fans of the
first one, it still reaches 8
times more people each time
it publishes something. Don’t
you think you need to be
aware of that?
(Emeric Ernoult of AgoraPulse)
• Ask your fans to hover over the like button
and click “get notifications.”
• Posting on Facebook
– Best times: Weekdays 6:00-8:00am and 2:00-
– Worst times: Weekends 10:00pm-4:00am
Admin Panel Basics
• Build Audience
– Invite Email Contacts
– Invite Friends
– Share Page (on your personal page)
– Promote Page ($)
• See Insights
– Ads Manager
Boost a Post
• Boost a post directly
from the post on your
news feed or from the
• Can select fans/friends
of fans or target your
• Don’t calculate engagement by dividing those who
liked, shared, commented by total number of fans.
• Instead divide those who liked, shared, commented
AND clicked by reached users.
• What patterns do you see with the most engaging
content? Is it a certain type of content? Is it shared on
a specific day of the week or time of day?
• Don’t limit your content to ad/marketing
• Think of yourself as a news source for your
– Post links to recent news stories and legal
• Include content that is visual (photos) and
• Highlight your community involvement.
• Join a page/group that would contain good
prospects for your law firm
– Can use Facebook ads to target people who liked or
joined pages/groups that are relevant to your business
• Start your own page
– Can use Google keyword advertising to direct people
to Facebook group
– Should disclose that your law firm sponsors the page
– Create contact form on page
Facebook Management Tools
• Sprout Social
• Social Bakers
• Scoreboard Social
• True Social Metrics
Benefits of Management
– Post to multiple social media sites from one
– Schedule posts.
– Tell you the best time/day to post.
– Allow others to review posts before publishing.
– Discover what people on social media are saying
about you, your business, your products, or any topic
– Determine how your posts are performing
• If you can’t keep the page fresh with new
content, it’s better for you to delete it.
• Instead of having a Facebook page for your
firm, you could use your personal page to
promote your brand.
• Be mindful of solicitation rules when using