• The Job
• The Switch
• The Value
• The Journey
• The Story
• The Hook
Slack, Uber, Facebook, Google, even
Microsoft have proved Sharma right.
Success in any given market always comes
down to the same fundamental question,
“Who understands the user better?”
"Startups mostly don't
compete against each other,
they compete against no one
giving a shit.” - Justin Kan
• >80% of people’s time is spent in just 3 apps.
• The top 8 mobile apps are owned by just 2 companies:
Google and Facebook.
• 50% of people in the USA download zero new apps per
“Innovation should demonstrate a relative
advantage over other options, ideally
including the technology currently used
for the task. Better technologies will be
adopted, plain and simple. ” - Everett
• Videos that autoplay as soon as the previous one ends.
• Notiﬁcations that interrupt you with vague messages
like 'Ben just posted something interesting.' (Linkedin,
• Images that load slowly forcing users to focus more
• Inﬁnitely scrolling screens. (Everyone)
• Focus on progress.
• Understand the forces of change
• Constantly deliver value
• Know your ‘Aha!’ moment
• Remember the story
• Understand triggers and rewards