Unit IX Problems of Guidance• Counselors can help a great deal in regulating student activities.• c) Cheating- it is said that, today cheating seems to have become a way of life among students. They do it in the open, apparently without a sense of guilt.
• d) Change sense of values- students of yesterday entered their class with only one purpose- to learn but today students go to their classroom with only one purpose-to pass which guidance gave attention as well.
3) Problems in the student discipline- in an ideal guidance program, it is the administrator who enforces regulations and discipline among students who violate school rules and regulations.
Guidance- cannot be take charge of disciplinary action on violations of school rules and regulations because the students might shy away from the guidance clinic and from the counselors.
However, counselor can deal with disciplinary problems such as:1.Truancy-- is any intentional unauthorized or illegal absence from compulsory schooling.
2.Cutting classes - not appearing or showing up class.
3.Stealing- the illegal act taking of another persons property without that persons freely-given consent.
4.Cheating- It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation.
8.Misbehaving outside and inside the classrooms
9.insubordination- is the act of willfully disobeying an authority.
Friendly interview - helps teacher and counselor to better understood other forms of anti- social behavior.
4) Social maladjustment- when an individual is in harmony between himself and has environment, he is said to be mentally healthy. He is able adapt himself to others and to the community in which he lives.
According to the book of Educational Psychology:Social adjustment- more than just making changes in the behavior of an individual in order to fit himself into community in which he lives.
Mental health or adjustment- should be to make “those changes in conduct or behavior of an individual in order to fit himself into the community in which he must lives!”
According to Dr. Estefania Aldaba Lim, mental health is betterunderstood by knowing what mental health is not.She said that:1) Having health is not an adjustment in all respect. To disagree, to come out of ones shell and protest against a harmful tradition orpolicy, is a surer sign of mental health.2) Mental health is not always freedom form anxiety and freedom. Anxiety is often a prerequisite of creativity and self-preservation.3) Neither is mental health freedom from dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction can be a blessing in disguise because it can stimulate invention andprogress.
4) Mental health is not conformity. What a mentally healthy individual can do is to assume an attitudeof permissiveness and acceptance of people against whom he hasbiases.5) Mental health is not constant happiness. Experiments do not always succeed, but most of them in turnstimulate others.6) Mental is not the absence of personal idiosyncrasies. Education, guidance and human relations temper and modifyone’s idiosyncrasies, but they remain inside him wherever he goes.
7) Mental health is not the undermining of authority. People obey and respect authority but it is normal to rebel, to object or toprotest, especially if the object of protest is unjust dishonest, untrueharmful, oppressive, far too authoritative.8) Mental health is not an opposition to religious values. We have freedom of worship even there is a separation of church andstate, but they can work in harmony with each other in administering thewelfare of the community and the people.
5) The problem of the superior student. A move was started among civic- minded Filipino to form anassociation so that gifted and talented children could be given betterattention and help. The foundation for gifted children has become areality since December 1959. Valedictorians and salutatorians of allschools are given scholarships in the form of free tuition. Guidance maybe given to all students who need it, concerningparticipation in stimulating activities which challenge their leadership-dramatics, public speaking, and journalistic writing.
Home- maladjustment can be caused by overprotection, rejection by parent, over- affection, poverty or an unhappy life.
School- it can be due to an unsuitable curriculum, poor and ineffective teaching methods, wrong attitude on the part of the teacher, over restriction and ineffective methods of handling undesirable behavior. school
5) The problem of the superior student. A move was started among civic- minded Filipino to form an associationso that gifted and talented children could be given better attention andhelp. The foundation for gifted children has become a reality sinceDecember 1959. Valedictorians and salutatorians of all schools are givenscholarships in the form of free tuition. Guidance maybe given to all students who need it, concerningparticipation in stimulating activities which challenge their leadership-dramatics, public speaking, and journalistic writing.
Awards- in the form of cash, certificates, medals or awards in kind are granted as marks of distinction, thus encouraging the students to excel others in various fields.
6) Dropouts- in spite of compulsory education, only 46 percent of children who should be in school are accommodated.
According to the First National Conference on Student Mental Health held in Baguio City in October, 1959, the causes of non- continuance of schooling among Filipino college students are:1.Lack of personal discipline
The number of dropouts and failures in school can be minimize if a guidance program can be set up in every public and private school in the Philippines.• Those who have stop schooling because of poverty can be better prepared for a vocation.• Those who are able to continue can be guided in preparing for college education or for a vocational course.
REPORT In Guidance and Counseling OfEvora, Maria Kristina Cassanda R.BLK. 3 / BSED-3 Mam Agnes Arellano (Professor)