Reaching Hispanic Women (18-35):
A Social Media Analysis
Courtesy of The San Jose Group- Chicago, IL
Mary Kay & Latinas
• As of 2010, the Latina sales force comprises a sizeable percentage
of Mary Kay’s total new businesses and has been on a steady
annual increase of 40 percent.
• Mary Kay’s values closely mirror Hispanic values such as “God
first, Family second, Career third” and “The Golden Rule”.
• Corporate Social Responsibility:
- In 2013, Mary Kay sponsored the 1st US-Brazil Girl’s
Empowerment Conference, in Rio de Jeneiro, for 80 girls
from Brazil, the US, Chile, Mexico and Uruguay.
- Mary Kay Mexico’s Dar amor y esperanza (Give love and
hope) program offers financial support to governmental
agencies that educate and shelter abused women.
• Additional Latina Marketing Efforts:
– Spanish language advertisements and website
– In-language “In Touch” Network
– Latina Blogger Engagement
– Sponsorship of Univision original web series, “Arranque
– Bilingual Twitter parties revolving around health, beauty
and telenovelas. #MKNovela parties taught participants
how to recreate glamorous looks worn by popular
Did You Know?
Hispanic buying is the fastest
growing and projected to exceed
$1.3 trillion in 2014.
Wearing makeup is considered
essential to 69% of Hispanic
women, compared to 46% of the
50% of Latinas feel it is
important to have counter
brand representatives speak
• As of August, 2013, Hispanic women-owned businesses in
the United States reached 787,914.
• Latina business owners have a start-up rate of six times
the national average.
• Over the past decade, there has been an almost 200
percent increase in Latina-owned business.
• Currently, Latinas own 10% of Women owned
82% of Latinas seek out
products with natural
to 66% of the general
L’Oreal partners with Hispanic
Latina Magazine and Latina
Mom Bloggers. The company
Hispanic media online via
shared posts and retweets.
L’Oreal dedicates specific social media pages to celebrating
diversity. Avon incorporates Spanish language
updates/posts within its English social channels.
CoverGirl’s “Belleza Latina,” is a
bilingual website devoted to
L’Oreal and CoverGirl use Spanish
language social media and YouTube
to engage Hispanic women .
CoverGirl enlists influential Latina social brand ambassadors such as Becky G
to contribute to its online engagement efforts.
Brands, like MAC and
L’Oreal, keep social media
channels up to date, using
relevant content such as
“How To” instructions and
video tutorials to engage
women. Hispanics, women in
particular, over-index for
online personal care
inquiries. Also, 80% of
Latinas use the internet to
inform purchase decisions.
SJG Success with Latinas
• The San Jose Group (SJG ) prides itself in its ability to develop innovative solutions to
connect brands and consumers.
• The agency’s expertise lies within reaching segmented audiences with its historical success
demonstrating a unique communications prowess, particularly within Hispanic markets.
• Here is just one example of how SJG has boosted brand awareness and sampling among
• Gorton’s Seafood
commissioned SJG to help
• SJG created a blogger
program to increase
Bloggers competed in
“Cocina, Bloguea y
¡Gana!” (Cook, Blog and
Win) to produce the best
Latin flavored recipe using
Gorton’s Breaded Fish
• Contestants were
encouraged to leverage
their social media
channels to promote their
recipes. The blog campaign
achieved 4.5MM media
impressions in social
Opportunities to Expand
• Mary Kay offers a Spanish translation of its website that
could be optimized with trans-culturated, Latina-specific
• Increase online/social engagement among Spanishpreferred Hispanic American women
• Developing in-language digital ads and instructional videos
would attract more Latina consumers to the Mary Kay
• Spanish language information and promotional materials
about Mary Kay’s entrepreneurial opportunities would
grow the company’s Latina sales force
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you
in greater detail about strengthening Mary
Kay’s online presence and relationship
building efforts with Latina audiences.
To learn more about our capabilities,
please contact PR Account Director,
Established in 1981, the San Jose Group
(SJG) is an award winning, full-service
marketing agency. For three decades, SJG
has demonstrated success in more than 45
categories and follows a convergent
marketing solutions model that directs its
clients towards embracing the evolving total
population consumer landscape.
233 N. Michigan Ave., 24th Fl. | Chicago, IL 60601
D: 312.565.6447 | T: 312.565.7000 | F: 312.565.7500