• To differentiate between a tabloid and a
• To identify the style of newspaper article
• To recognise the emotive writing style of
• To identify typical elements of a newspaper
• To recap and practise reading strategies
In pairs list differences between
tabloid and broadsheet newspapers:
• Match the headlines with the
pictures, illustrating the articles.
• Check each other’s work.
• Identify some specific features of the newspaper
headlines, different to conventional English.
• Think in terms of:
• Grammar (articles, tenses)
• Word order
• In pairs read the article about Justin Bieber
and answer the questions.
• Which READING STRATEGIES did you use to
complete the activity?
• SKIMMING – reading for gist
• SCANNING – reading for detail
• In pairs identify the main points of each
paragraph in the article. Note them down -
one sentence each.
• In pairs retell the article to each other, using
Differences Between Newspapers
• What type of newspaper is this article from?
• In pairs discuss what differences there would
be between this article and a broadsheet
article on the same topic.
the learning so far – PAIR WORK
• On the plenary sheet recap the differences
between and tabloid and a broadsheet
• Recall 5 emotive vocab items and their
• List the elements of a newspaper article
• Recap the 2 reading strategies.
Writing task – in pairs
• Recap a piece of news you heard on
TV/radio/read in newspaper.
• Write a short tabloid article on the same
topic, implementing the learning so far.
• Submit to teacher for checking.