Original Galaxy Tab released in 2010Tab 2 & Tab 3 aimed at budget markets. Front-facing cameras downgraded to VGA quality and the rear to fixed focus
Navigation Bar – Back button, Home button, and Recent Apps button
Becoming Attached to Your Android
Becoming Attached to your
Presented by Kathy Petlewski
Plymouth District Library
Topics We’ll Cover
Various Makes and Models of Androids
The Android Operating System
Looking at the various desktops
Making sense of the Settings
Shopping in the Google Play Store & Samsung
• Downloading ebooks to your device.
Google Nexus Tablets
• Nexus 7 – 2012
Version, developed with Asus.
Released with Android 4.1.
• Nexus 10 – Oct.
2012, manufactured by
• Nexus 7, 2nd
generation, released July
2013. Released with Android
Common Features of Android
• Users have the ability to customize the look and feel
of their devices.
• Shop and download applications from the Google
• Download e-books from OverDrive in the EPUB
• Browse the Internet, read e-mail, use social media
sites such as Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
• Play music, watch movies, and view photos.
Android Apps vs. Widgets
• “Apps are conventional programs that occupy the
entire screen when opened. Applications added to
the Home screen appear as icons. To open an
app, tap its icon.”
• “Widgets are single-purpose miniprograms. Widgets
added to the Home screen appear as icons that you
can tap to open or as tiles that you can resize to open
part or all of the Home screen.”
• (taken from Google Nexus 7 Tablet by Chris Fehily, page 21.)
Galaxy Note Special Feature
• Use the Galaxy Note’s
special stylus called the
“S pen” to
draw, scribble notes, or
write on the screen and
then save to your
• Choose from a number
of different templates.
Authorizing Adobe Digital Editions
• The first time you
OverDrive, you must
authorize with Adobe
• This is a free
process, but be sure to
write down your ID for
Things to Remember
• You must have your Wi-Fi enabled to surf web, download
ebooks and get to the Google Play Store or Samsung Apps.
• You will have to a username and password for Adobe Digital
Editions the first time you download from OverDrive. This is a
• It’s a “Use it or Lose it” set of skills. The more you use it, the
more comfortable you will become with it.
Time for Questions & Comments
Thanks for attending !