What is OctoPrint?
● OctoPrint is a host software similar to
Printrun, Cura, Repetier Host or MakerWare.
● The host software controls the 3D printer by
sending it the commands necessary to do it’
● Host software is run on a computer that is
connected to the Arduino/microcontroller
through a USB cable.
● Host software sends GCode files to the 3D
printer, one line at at time.
The ATmega328 chip found on the Uno:
Flash 32k bytes (of which .5k is used for the bootloader)
SRAM 2k bytes
EEPROM 1k byte
The ATmega2560 in the Mega2560 has larger memory space :
Flash 256k bytes (of which 8k is used for the bootloader)
SRAM 8k bytes
EEPROM 4k byte
● Computer must be tethered to computer
throughout the job.
● Inefficient. This is not computationally
intensive process. All it does is send a
couple of text lines at a time.
❏ The software is completely free and open
❏ Go to octoprint.org and download OctoPi, an
SD card image that includes OctoPrint plus
everything needed to run it.
❏ Flash the image to your SD card (detailed
instructions are linked in the website).
❏ Connect WiFi dongle and make sure the
Raspberry Pi is connected to the local WiFi.
❏ After booting up the Raspberry Pi, OctoPrint
should be available at http://octopi.local