Presented by :
Krishna Mohan Shakya
BCA- III sem
o Evolution of Mobile Technology
o What is 4G?
o 3G vs 4G
o Technologies Standard
o How 4G Works?
o Advantages and Disadvantages
Evolution of Mobile Technology :
o 1G-First Generation (1979 in Japan)
o 2G-Second Generation (1991 in Finland)
• SMS , MMS
• CDMA , GPRS , EDGE
• Voice Mail
o 3G-Third Generation (1998 in Japan)
• Wireless Internet
• Video Calling
• Mobile TV
What is 4G ?
o Fourth Generation of Cellular
o Beyond 3G .
o Data transfer rate up to 100 Mbps
for high mobility.
3G vs 4G
Technology 3G 4G
Data Transfer Rate 14.1MB /sec 100MB/sec
Internet services Broadband Ultra Broadband
Bandwidth 5 - 20 MHz 100 +MHz
Frequency 1.6- 2 GHZ 2 – 8 GHz
Network Architecture Wide Area Network Hybrid Network
What’s new in 4G ?
o IP (Internet Protocol) based
o Digital in nature
o Wider Bandwidths 100Mhz
o 10 times faster than current
o User Friendly.
Technology Standards :
• LTE (In Norway ,Sweden since 2009)
• The advantages of LTE(Long Term Evolution) are:
(i) 100 Mbps - download & 50 Mbps – upload.
(ii) It offers both FDD (Feature Design Document) and
TDD (Test Driven Development) duplexing.
How 4G Works ?
• The IP address is based on IPv6.
• IPv4: X . X . X . X (32 bits)
• IPv6: 4 × IPv4 (128 bits)
22.214.171.124 , 126.96.36.199 , 188.8.131.52 , 192.168.5.120
• Virtual Presence :-for ex.-Always-on connections to
keep people on event and also video conferencing.
• Virtual Navigation :-A remote data base contains the
graphical representation of streets, building and
• Telegeoprocessing :-Dependent on location
information of several users.
• High usability: anytime, anywhere, and with any technology.
• Support for multimedia services at low transmission cost.
• Higher bandwidth, tight network security.
• Battery uses are more.
• Hard to implement
• Need complicated hardware.
4G Can be best described in word
M : Mobile Multimedia
A : Anytime / Anywhere
G : Global Mobility Support
I : Integrated
C : Customized Personal Network