• “Set in a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence.”• Gene Forrester, the protagonist, returns to his old prep school, Devon, fourteen years after he graduated to visit two places he regards as "fearful sites:" a flight of marble stairs and a tree by the river.• The tree brings back memories of Genes time as a student at Devon. From this point, the plot follows Genes description of the time span from the summer of 1942 to the summer of 1943.• In 1942, he was 16 years old and living at Devon with his best friend and roommate, Phineas (nicknamed Finny). At the time, World War II is taking place, and has a prominent effect on the story.
• The story opens with Gene returning to his old boarding school to revisit two “fearful sights.” *a flight of marble stairs *a tree by the river
Main character, story toldfrom Genes point of view.Gene focuses on, andsucceeds at, academics.He envies his roommateFinnys graceful, easyathleticism and socialprowess. Gene is fromTexas, and is somewhatunaccustomed toNortheastern culture.
• Incorrigible, good natured, athletic, daredevil, and could always get away with anything. Genes best friend and roommate. He always sees the best in others, seeks internal fulfillment free of accolades, and shapes the world around himself to fit his desires. He is an extraordinary athlete, succeeding in every sport he plays. Gene’s roommate and bff.
• Brinker is a classmate and friend of Gene and Finnys. He ceaselessly strives for order during the Winter Session at Devon.
• Nature-loving and strange, Leper is Finny and Genes friend, and was a key member of the Super Suicide Society of the Summer Session. He is the first student in his class to enlist in the military. Late in the novel, Leper goes insane from the stress of his enlistment in the army.