6. Today’s presenters Jessica Fries-Gaither Education Resource Specialist The Ohio State University College of Education and Human Ecology School of Teaching and Learning [email_address] Terry Shiverdecker Science Content Specialist Ohio Resource Center Ohio State University College of Education and Human Ecology School of Teaching and Learning [email_address]
9. What do you think about inquiry? Answer using the stamping tool to the left of the whiteboard! http://www.asdk12.org/depts/science/ESCARGotWeb/documents/MythsAboutInquiryBasedLearning.pdf AGREE DISAGREE Inquiry is asking the students a lot of questions. Doing hands-on science is the same as doing inquiry. Inquiry teaching is not chaotic – It is a carefully choreographed activity.
11. Testable questions Question Types Meal Worm Examples Attention-focusing What do you notice about the meal worm? Measuring and counting How many legs does the meal worm have? Comparison How is the adult beetle different from the meal worm? How is it alike? Action What happens when the meal worm is moved into the light? Problem-posing Can you find a way to illustrate the life cycle of a meal worm? Reasoning How do insects benefit from having different life cycle stages?
16. How familiar are you with the learning cycle? Answer using the stamping tool to the left of the whiteboard! I can explain what it is to someone else. I’ve heard or seen the term. I have no idea!
17. The 5E Learning Cycle http://www.ohiorc.org/pm/science/Sci_LearningCycle.aspx Robert Karplus, 3 stage learning cycle, Science Curriculum Improvement Study (SCIS) Roger Bybee, 5 E learning cycle model, Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS) Additional models: 4E, 7E
25. Where do you see the potential for literacy integration? Answer using the stamping tool to the left of the whiteboard!
Mary Henton Jessica
Both 45 seconds
Jessica Results Terry Correct answers More about kids asking questions they can explore Wide-range sometimes hands-on, always minds-on, always evidence-based, source of evidence can vary Seems chaotic, actually well planned
End with Jessica’s classroom experience and honoring all questions
Jessica & Terry
Terry ~45 seconds
Make point about emergent vocabulary
Now’s the time to use scientifically accurate vocabulary jessica