Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Final counseling presentation_chile[1]

331 views

Published on

Chile

Published in: Spiritual, Travel
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Final counseling presentation_chile[1]

  1. 1. Counseling Chilean ClientsBy: Kelly Kugler
  2. 2. Overview• Geography and Demographics• Religion• Family Dynamic• Typical Foods and Meal Pattern• Etiquette• Counseling Recommendations
  3. 3. Geography • Country located in the Southwest region of South America • Chile is boarded by Argentina, Peru, and Bolivia • Has about 4,000 miles of coastline • Diverse geography and a temperate climate gives it access to a wide varieties of foods.
  4. 4. Demographics Groups: • 95% -White and white - Amerindians • The other 5% is mostly Amerindian ▫ Mapuche • Language: Spanish • Others native languages ▫ Mapudungun ▫ Aymara • Additional ▫ English ▫ German
  5. 5. Religion• 90% of the population is Roman Catholic ▫ Taught in schools ▫ Plays a role in Government decisions ▫ Saints Day• Protestant ▫ Pentecostal ▫ Seventh-day Adventist Church
  6. 6. Family Dynamic• Family is the center role of life in Chile• Extended families often gather for meals and celebrations• The father is the head of the house• The mother is in charge of making decisions when it come to the family
  7. 7. Meal PatternBreakfast: Afternoon Break:• Typically light, just a piece of • Tea and a snack bread or a role with jam and a ▫ Fruit, sandwiches, or a pastry beverage. ▫ A more complete meal could Dinner: include fruit, pastries, ham, • Starts 9-migdnight and/or cheese. • Lighter mealLunch: • Cold cuts, seafood salad, or a• Main meal of the day stew or soup.• Includes appetizer, stew, and grilled meat dish.• Could last up to two hrs
  8. 8. Typical Foods• Seafood is a staple• Varity of fruits and vegetables• Beef- typically grilled• Beans• Spanish, Italian, German, and Hungarian influence ▫ Pasta is a national favorite  29TH
  9. 9. Meal Customs and Etiquette• Women prepare meals and serve men, who eat first• European- style dinning is common• Everything requires utensils• Keep wrists on the table so that one’s hands can be seen at all times.• Finishing every piece of food on the plate is considered polite• Wine should only be poured with the right hand
  10. 10. Greeting• Men will shake hands with men• Women will usually pat on the right forearm or shoulder.• Friends and relatives greet one another the more relaxed and unreserved ▫ Men may embrace energetically and pat each other on the back ▫ Women will kiss once on the right cheek
  11. 11. Greeting (Continued)• Use both their maternal and paternal surnames ▫ The fathers surname is listed first /is used in conversation.• Use any titles they have that you know of ▫ If no title exists use "Senor“ or "Senora" followed by surname
  12. 12. Traits to be aware of• Direct eye contact• Interruptions are common• Indirect communication style• Assertive and animated when emotional
  13. 13. Barriers and Differences for Chileansin the US• Difference in meal times• Difference in time practices• In many instances care may not be sought except in emergency situations• The prevalence rate for obesity in Chile was 21.9%
  14. 14. Final Tips for Counseling Chileans• Be up front with time concerns• Identify the person as a Chilean, not just Hispanic or Latino• Family is very important to Chilean people• ASK QUESTIONS!
  15. 15. ReferencesBauer, K. D., Liou, D., & Sokolik, C. A. (2012). Nutrition Counseling and Education Skill Development. (2nd ed.). Wadsworth: Cengage Learning.CIA (2012, April 13). The World Factbook- South America Chile. Retrieved from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ci.htmlEnnis, S. R., Rios-Vargas, M., & Albert, N. G. (2011, May 01). The Hispanic Population:2010. Retrieved from http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-04.pdfKittler, P. G., & Sucher, K. P. (2008). Food and Culture. (5 ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson Higher Education.Kwintessential. (n.d.). Chile - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette. Retrieved from http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/chile.htmlMartinez-Houben, L. (2011). Counseling Hispanics Through Loss, Grief, and Bereavement: a Guide for Mental Health Professionals. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.Torres-Rivera, E., West-Olatunji, C., Conwill, W., Garrett, M. T., & Phan, L. T. (2008). Language as a Form of Subtle Oppression Among Linguistically Different People in the United States of America. Social Perspectives , 10(1), 11-28. Retrieved from http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=1992197162727900863&hl=en&as_sdt=0,39

×